• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more from Cyprus April 12-19th.... (1 Viewer)

KenM

For the first two images, I'm unsure of the age of these Black-eared Wheatears, noting that Image 1. appears to be showing white tips to the tail?

With the last two images showing Sardinian Warbler..clearly melanocephala in the first Image and what appears to be a very pale (even allowing for the bright light) individual, or could it be of the race momus? Cheers

Attachments

• Wheatear sp. Cyprus 1..jpg
    Wheatear sp. Cyprus 1..jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Wheatear sp. Cyprus..jpg
    Wheatear sp. Cyprus..jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Sardinian perched up 1..jpg
    Sardinian perched up 1..jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Sardinian whole..jpg
    Sardinian whole..jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 99
Black-eared Wheatear x2 and Sardinian Warbler x2

Yes the ID's of both species had already been established, perhaps if I was more specific. I presume that you are a local and have good experience of both species? This latest trip for me represented only my second week on Cyprus within the last 28 years, therefore It was a learning curve for me regarding BEW and SW.

White tips to the tail of an immature male Black-eared Wheatear...just put it down to variability?

Just the nominate race of melanocephala, Sardinian Warbler known to occur ?

Cheers

Hybrids among BEW and other sympathetic can be found with many unexplained tail pattern?

Omar

Thanks Omar...I did see a lot of variation within the dark-throated and pale-throated forms of BEW, although the tail patterns of those that I saw seemed consistent...hence the question, with this 1st/2nd year male? looking particularly attractive. Cheers

Attachments

• Black eared Wheatear.6..jpg
    Black eared Wheatear.6..jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Black eared Wheatear.2..jpg
    Black eared Wheatear.2..jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 44
Sorry I didn't read the question properly. Not sure about the white tips to the tail of the Black-eared Wheatear, I only just noticed this in your photo and have no idea if it means anything.

There's a Sardinian Warbler study going on in Cyprus and to the best of my knowledge so far it is assumed that all the birds here are melanocephala. There is an interesting melanistic variant that has appeared in Cyprus over the last few years. There seem to be quite a few of these melanistic birds in one particular area. Here's a thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=164663&highlight=melanistic+sardinian+warbler

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back