• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

Rustic

Hello to All,

I'm Russ, from Northwest Oklahoma and my wife has a hobby of bird watching. I build the feeders, put them up, buy the feed, fill the feeders, set the bird water's, fill them, and build the bird houses. My wife has a hobby of bird watching. :h?: My grandmother had a canary once, so being somewhat new to the hobby I just applied the knowledge I learned from her to our present hobby. By the way, can anyone tell me a simpler way of lining the backyard with newspaper? :news:

Found this site through BirdWatcher's Digest yesterday. Seems to be a wonderful place to lite for all of the bird information a person could want.

Russ

Last edited:
Hi Russ. Welcome to Birdforum.I would love to see a photo of your back yard when it's lined. All the best John. ;)

John N said:
Hi Russ. Welcome to Birdforum.I would love to see a photo of your back yard when it's lined. All the best John. ;)
I would be happy to accomodate you John, but that is where the problem lies. As it is always a bit windy here in Oklahoma, it seems I can never quite complete the task. :C

Russ

And what happens when it rains? Papier mache birdtables? LOL
Seriously though, welcome to the forum...may you soon be as addicted as we all are!!!

Still waiting for my hubby to make me the perfect birdtable...all the ones I see in shops/garden centres etc are TOO SMALL!!!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Hello Russ, and welcome. You'll find lots of answers here - but I'm not too sure about lining the back yard! ;)
Thank you for the welcome Elizabeth. I'm looking forward to lots of answers. There are a lot of life situations that I could use a good answer for.

Russ

Gill Osborne said:
And what happens when it rains? Papier mache birdtables? LOL
Seriously though, welcome to the forum...may you soon be as addicted as we all are!!!

Still waiting for my hubby to make me the perfect birdtable...all the ones I see in shops/garden centres etc are TOO SMALL!!!

Thank you for the Welcome.

Is there a twelve step program for those who become uncontrollably addicted?

How big are the birds where you live, a small bird table would accomodate most of the birds we have? Here the birds have little tiny plates and saucers with very very small forks and spoons.

Russ

Rustic said:
Thank you for the Welcome.

Is there a twelve step program for those who become uncontrollably addicted?

How big are the birds where you live, a small bird table would accomodate most of the birds we have? Here the birds have little tiny plates and saucers with very very small forks and spoons.

Russ

There's no way out once you're addicted.

I hope you provide little serviettes too, and tiny bowls of water for them to rinse their beaks afterwards!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
There's no way out once you're addicted.

I hope you provide little serviettes too, and tiny bowls of water for them to rinse their beaks afterwards!

Well...I just glanced out the window and although we try to provide nothing but the finest here at "the little feathered eatery on the square" my view shows that all is in vain at the moment. There seems to be nothing but uncontolled havoc with some standing in each others plate, while others are splashing in the drinking water, with a few dancing on the table and others swinging by the Chandeliers.

It seems that, once a country bird, always a country bird. Every summer we send them up north to those high dollar, very sophisticated schools of nothing but the finest manners... and what happens? They come home to roost, just as they left.

What's a poor man to do? :h?:

Hi again Russ,

Welcome to the forum.

It must be great to be so handy! Myslef, I'm limited to the ones that aren't too fancy.

Have you built any suet feeders from tree branches yet? Easy to do- find a medium to thick branch. Cut off the length to suit (6-12")- drill some large holes into the branch. Put a hanger on one end and fill the holes with suet.

Sure beats losing feeders to the other wildlife for sure! Of course, here it's racoons, black bear and mad cap squirrels!

John

Thanks for the welcome and the same too you also. Looks like we are newcomers together.

We did build some suet feeders in the past. Also some boards with fruit attached. The Woodpeckers loved it and the Racoons. We don't have the black bear here but are over infested with the Racoons and Squirrels. I put up a automated deer feeder this year that distributes corn twice a day. So far this has kept the squirrels and coons happy.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back