• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found a birds nest in my backyard. (1 Viewer)

Rat_Zilluh

I dont know where to put this actually, but id just like to make sure the nest stays safe, its almost between 2 sheds, but if it rained it might ruin the nest. any advice on how i might do this? i doubt i could move the nest with my hands because of the smell i think.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Actually, there are Federal Laws which dictate that you should not disturb any nest of birds covered under the Federal Migratory Act. That said, I'm thinking you have a photo of it but haven't figured out how to attach it. Hopefully, when you do, someone will be able to pinpoint which bird it belongs to.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Actually, there are Federal Laws which dictate that you should not disturb any nest of birds covered under the Federal Migratory Act. That said, I'm thinking you have a photo of it but haven't figured out how to attach it. Hopefully, when you do, someone will be able to pinpoint which bird it belongs to.
right pictures would definitely help haha.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/29ma81x.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11lmq0j.jpg

Looks like a Mourning Dove. Incubation and the nestling period adds up to about a month. The Birds themselves, remarkably resilient, left to own devices. Eggs or nestling's would be sheltered by one of the adults, as they work in shifts attending to the brood. Should be fine, providing water drains away, rather than pool. Moving a nest almost always results in abandonment. If you can tolerate them, they can mostly get by with just inattention.

EDIT
Welcome to the forum, R_Z
hope it works out
Sense of smell is poorly developed in birds.
Only a few such as vultures having adaptations thought to exploit specific chemical scents.
Our live scent not producing those chemicals in any significant amount. For example,
putting a fallen nestling back in a nest, wouldn't result in the nestling being "smelled out" by an adult.
END EDIT

Last edited:
Looks like a Mourning Dove. Incubation and the nestling period adds up to about a month. The Birds themselves, remarkably resilient, left to own devices. Eggs or nestling's would be sheltered by one of the adults, as they work in shifts attending to the brood. Should be fine, providing water drains away, rather than pool. Moving a nest almost always results in abandonment. If you can tolerate them, they can mostly get by with just inattention.

EDIT
Welcome to the forum, R_Z
hope it works out
Sense of smell is poorly developed in birds.
Only a few such as vultures having adaptations thought to exploit specific chemical scents.
Our live scent not producing those chemicals in any significant amount. For example,
putting a fallen nestling back in a nest, wouldn't result in the nestling being "smelled out" by an adult.
END EDIT
Thanks! :) i appreciate the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back