• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a new Scope (1 Viewer)

ornithom

I purchased a Coolpix 4500 recently and am now searching for a fairly cheap but good quality scope to begin digiscoping. I have found the Nikon 80mm Spotting Scope, which to me seems like a good option as it has a large objective lens and is reasonably priced. Can anyone provide advice on whether this combo would 'work', or point me in the right direction otherwise?

I see this is your first post,so from the Moderators of Bird Forum,a warm welcome.
I'm sure somebody will have some specific knowledge of the Nikon80/CP4500 combo;several top Digiscoping practitioners give expert advice here,in the meantime a search through the site may provide some useful information.

Welcome to BF! Andy Bright has written several good articles on scopes, so be sure to check those out. Personally, I tried a "cheap" spotting scope, and was extremely disappointed in the results. A Zeiss Diascope, while not inexpensive, was the best value for the money that I found.

Regards,

GR

If your on a budget why not try a 2nd hand Kowa tsn 3 or 4 i started with a tsn 3 and they rearly are a very good scope for digiscoping ,over half the photos in my gallery were taken on a 4500 plus tsn3.Expect to pay about £400-£450.Good luck

ornithom said:
I purchased a Coolpix 4500 recently and am now searching for a fairly cheap but good quality scope to begin digiscoping. I have found the Nikon 80mm Spotting Scope, which to me seems like a good option as it has a large objective lens and is reasonably priced. Can anyone provide advice on whether this combo would 'work', or point me in the right direction otherwise?
Opticron ES80 GA About £500 new with 30x eyepiece and maybe Stay on case
See reviews ( Under the Birdforum logo at the top of screen!.
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=43
Quite a few people use them for digiscoping. Search for ES80 in the galleries!.

Hi everyone!
I'm canvassing for cheap but good spotting scope that is camera ready, will be used for tropical country birding (doesn't fog or get affected by high humidity) and under $900. Did someone already encounter an online store for this? I just got the price at eagle optics but a friend suggested writing it down in this forum to get more ideas.
Thanks!

Annette
Philippines

ornithom said:

I use the Nikon Coolpix 4500 with the Nikon ED78 scope together with the Nikon
Adaptor and I do suffer from vignetting at certain zoom levels. Andy Bright tried the combination during a lesson I received from him and thinks a Eagle Eye adaptor might reduce the vignetting.Another problem is that to get the camera lens closer to the scopes eyepiece the rubber eyepiece needs to be removed.
Apart from these two drawbacks the scope itself is superb and Warehouse Express have some superb deals on these scopes at the moment
Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back