• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-TTL off-camera cord/flash bracket for Canon (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

I'm want to start using my Speedlite 580 EXII of a bracket. Has anyone any experience of using non-Canon leads? I'm keen to save a bit of money. I'd also be grateful for bracket recommendations.

Cheers

I've got a 580 EXII, and do use a third party coiled mount. To be honest I can't even remember the brand now, but it was in the fifty dollar range.

I've never had any problem with it, but its worth noting that I only use manual flash settings. If you want TTYL synchronization I can't guarantee that it works.

I've got a Pixel FC-311/S TTL cord which is equivalent to the Canon cord. Haven't used it a great deal but it seems to support all the flash modes on my 580EXII OK. Around £17.

hi steve
you do need to get the original canon lead if you want full e-ttl the none canon ones do work well in manual mode and are safe to use hope this helps

hi steve
you do need to get the original canon lead if you want full e-ttl the none canon ones do work well in manual mode and are safe to use hope this helps

Are you sure? I've found a thread on a photography forum saying the Jessops one does support the full e-TTL.

Cheers

Hi

I'm want to start using my Speedlite 580 EXII of a bracket. Has anyone any experience of using non-Canon leads? I'm keen to save a bit of money. I'd also be grateful for bracket recommendations.

Cheers

Got a 13 QUID cheapie off E Bay - camera and flash (1 D4 + 430 EX) can't tell it's not Canon!

Hi,
I bought a Lastolite cord (3 metres) and it works fine with my 300D and 60D.
You can get one from EBay, listed as

Lastolite Straight TTL Sync Flash Cable Cord for Canon

which camera are you using? The 60D will allow you to use wireless flash with the 580 Speedlite, controlling it with the built-in flash. I think the 7D might as well.
I am now experimenting with two flash units (a 430EXII and a Sigma 500 DG Super), both set up as slaves, controlled by the built-in flash. I can set different ratios, using one to lighten shadows.
Watch this space, as I just need some birds to photograph now!
Cheers

I'm using a 500D at the moment, so wireless from the camera not an option. I may 'upgrade' soon, so I'm dithering a bit at the moment. The Lastolite cord is one I'm considering, as well as the Jessops one.

The 600D can remotely control speedlites via its in-built transmitter, which requires the body's flash to be activated (popped up). Have you tried this?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back