Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird in the Pantanal, Brazil, needs ID help ...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 12th May 2007, 23:55   #1
barrancoalto
User from the Pantanal

Bird in the Pantanal, Brazil, needs ID help ...

Dear fellows !

I thought this bird might be a male variable antshrike, but Rasmus disagrees and his hint is more towards a masked gnatcatcher ...

What is your oppinion ?

Thanks for the help

best wishes, Lucas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	84243  

Fazenda Barranco Alto
www.fazendabarrancoalto.com
Old Sunday 13th May 2007, 22:42   #2
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

As said; some things really looked strange for gnatcatcher, which is why I requested additionaly photos, but I guess you didn't get more. These "strange features" were even stranger when knowing that the Masked Gnatcatcher is the only species of gnatcatcher in the Pantanal. However, looking at it again, it is obvious that the peculiar angle of the bird combined with the jizz threw me off. It's clearly a female Mato Grosso Antbird (Cercomacra melanaria). Excellent photo, and even more so if you got it without using playback. This is one of the bird-species many birders want to see when visiting the Pantanal, as there are few other places you can see it. I do hope you'll add it to the Opus, as there are no photos for this species.

Last edited by Rasmus Boegh : Sunday 13th May 2007 at 23:05. Reason: still can't spell

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th May 2007, 23:18   #3
jocateme

Hey, that's great!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: