• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chilterns, England (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
Hello,

Does anybody know of a sure-fire location in the Chilterns for Red Kites?
Preferably somewhere that lots of them gather? (my 6 year old son is just developing an interest in birding & a spectacle like that is probably the push he needs ;) )

Thanks

Simon

Simon, yes I do.

Go on the M40, exit at Stokenchurch. Just driving through this small town/village and you will see loads, and I mean loads of them. You can also continue on towards Ibstone or Christimas Common. All around these small villages, the kites are plentiful.

PM me if you need more info.

Seriously the Christmas Common area is excellent for them.
I always go to Bix, just of the A4130 from Henley, and drive the lanes north of there. I have always seen them before I get out the car. I park somewhere in the area and go for a walk, they can often be found perched in the trees or on the ground and I have had ten + in the air at one time along with Buzzards too.

Good luck let us know how you get on, and if the site of several Kites together doesn’t spawn the next generation of Birders then nothing will.

Here is a link to a map of the area.

All the best

Richard

Last edited:
Richard Ford said:
and if the site of several Kites together doesn’t spawn the next generation of Birders then nothing will.

That's what I'm hoping!

Thanks everyone for the information, I'm hoping to make the trip during the Christmas hols.
I'll certainly let you all know when I've been (as i'll be "all fired up" at getting another lifer!)

Simon

A very good spot we've discussed before in length is as follows.

Leaving M40 Junction 5 and heading towards Christmas Common park up in the Cowleaze woodland car park.

Walk through the wood and sit on the felled tree at the east point of CowLeaze Wood (through the sculptures and along the public footpath) facing across the fields to Lower Vicar's farm.

The Red Kites will arrive and be seen at close quarters. Youi may also see Red Deer and Fallow Deer in the valley. Plenty of Buzzards aswell.

Simon, just to let you know, the kites are still around Stokenchurch. Driving through there today, and counted at least 8 of them, plus another 4 further up the A40 towards Lewknor.
Also saw four deer in Aston Woods, but they moved so quickly wasn't sure which they were.

Thanks Helen,

I'm going to try & drag myself away from all the food & drink sometime after Xmas (though I don't relish a trip on the M25 & M40 @ the best of times!!)
Anyway, I'm supposed to be giving up smoking on boxing day, so I've got to find lots of things to occupy myself!!

Cheers

Last edited:
hah! Giving up smoking hey....join the club. Still haven't succeeded after many years! After the excitement of seeing your first redkites, you'll need a ciggy to calm you down! :)

helenol said:
hah! Giving up smoking hey....join the club. Still haven't succeeded after many years! After the excitement of seeing your first redkites, you'll need a ciggy to calm you down! :)

Oh! I hadn't thought of that!
hmmm. I'll have to make sure I take a large supply of Mars Bars/strong coffee/chewing gum etc.

:smoke:

Still haven't been to see them, but tomorrow I have to go to Newbury Racecourse for work (stupid computer show - Boooooring!) But I should be finished and free by 2-3pm so I'm planning to make a detour on my way home (via Stokenchurch/M40)
Question is, are the Kites still present in numbers around the villages or have they dispersed further afield by now?

Cheers

Hi Simon, I saw them again only 2 weeks ago. It's best to go on the A40 rather than the motorway. For example, you could take to M4 and the A404 to High Wycombe. Follow the signs for High Wycombe town centre and then from there, follow the A40 (signs to Oxford I think) and drive through West Wycombe (kites usually there in the fields) on to Stokenchurch. As you go through Stokenchurch (it's not very big) you can either follow the road over the motorway to Ibstone or turn right continuing on the A40 towards Lewknor. The kites can usually be seen all along this road. At Lewknor you can get on the M40 (junction 6) to return home.

PM me if you need any more info.
Cheers

Thanks Helen,
That seems like an eminently sensible plan (didn't fancy bombing along the M40 only to spot my first & have nowhere to stop!! ;) )
Cheers, I'll post here on Friday if I do finally get them! :t:

I live just outside oxford and spend much of my time looking for birds of prey these days and can confirm that Bix is an escellent site to see them also if you head down the hill towards the nature reserve you will see many more along that road glideing about on the currents over the hills its not uncommon to see 10-20 at a time and ive never been there and not seen any less than 4-5 also in the area the buzzards are doing well often seeing 3-4 at a time

Just come across this.

There is a garden centre in on the south side of the A40 between Stokenchurch and Piddington. They have a camera observing a nest used by Kites in breeding season. The camera gives pictures on a TV situated in the cafeteria.

Sorry this reply is slow.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back