• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

Growing up in New England, I must admit that I've seen a lot of birds in my lifetime.
However, I can't say I've seen every bird common to our area.
And one bird I've never seen, not even once, is the indigo bunting.
And I'm still not sure why that is so.

Compared to other seasonal backyard birds, indigo buntings seem like they should be a little easier to attract.
They don't spend all their time in the canopies of trees, and their habitat needs seem relatively easy to meet the standard of.
And they feed on regular seeds such as sunflower and thistle seeds, apparently.

But despite this, I've never seen an indigo bunting, not only in our backyard, front yard, or in our town, but anywhere.

Does anyone who's seen one of these splendid birds have any suggestions regarding how to see them?
Or possibly even attract them to our own backyard?
After all, they don't seem to have particular preferences regarding habitat requirements that are too difficult to satisfy, even in the average backyard.

Any input from experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks! God bless!

Last edited:
We would occasionally see one feeding on the nijer seeds we had out for the lesser goldfinches we had feed in our yard.

I found this page with a lot of details, apparently they prefer open habitats, with low vegetation and only scarce trees, like "wild shrubby fields and agricultural land bordered by hedges", they "generally avoid older woodlands and suburban or urban areas"...

If you don't know where to find this kind of landscape, you might need to join a local birding group, they often don't share publicly precise locations of nesting birds...

I found this page with a lot of details, apparently they prefer open habitats, with low vegetation and only scarce trees, like "wild shrubby fields and agricultural land bordered by hedges", they "generally avoid older woodlands and suburban or urban areas"...

If you don't know where to find this kind of landscape, you might need to join a local birding group, they often don't share publicly precise locations of nesting birds...
Our town is somewhat suburban, but also offers a reasonable percentage of what I would describe as "agricultural land, shrubby fields, and scarce trees" behind our property.

Since we moved from Connecticut to New Hampshire, our new property offers much more open meadow habitat, and cannot be described as an old or mature woodland. It is sort of a sacrifice, though, since our chances of seeing any more pileated woodpeckers and barred owls are now diminished.

Last edited:
Our town is somewhat suburban, but also offers a reasonable percentage of what I would describe as "agricultural land, shrubby fields, and scarce trees" behind our property.

Since we moved from Connecticut to New Hampshire, our new property offers much more open meadow habitat, and cannot be described as an old or mature woodland. It is sort of a sacrifice, though, since our chances of seeing any more pileated woodpeckers and barred owls are now diminished.

If those open shrubby areas are large enough and to their taste, they may come? Did you try eBird hotspots, they have maps with precise locations of observations, it's no warranty to see the birds of course, but it may help for next season when the males are singing, I suppose that's the best moment to spot them...

Last edited:
Hello, folks!

Growing up in New England, I must admit that I've seen a lot of birds in my lifetime.
However, I can't say I've seen every bird common to our area.
And one bird I've never seen, not even once, is the indigo bunting.
And I'm still not sure why that is so.

Compared to other seasonal backyard birds, indigo buntings seem like they should be a little easier to attract.
They don't spend all their time in the canopies of trees, and their habitat needs seem relatively easy to meet the standard of.
And they feed on regular seeds such as sunflower and thistle seeds, apparently.

But despite this, I've never seen an indigo bunting, not only in our backyard, front yard, or in our town, but anywhere.

Does anyone who's seen one of these splendid birds have any suggestions regarding how to see them?
Or possibly even attract them to our own backyard?
After all, they don't seem to have particular preferences regarding habitat requirements that are too difficult to satisfy, even in the average backyard.

Any input from experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks! God bless!
It’s a little late reply but you still have plenty of time before they return this spring. They breed every year in my woodland, in springtime you often see little blue sapphires chasing each other around. They like running water, a fountain, a water drip into a bowl, or a small waterfall will not only attract Indigo’s but all sorts of warblers, orioles etc.

It sounds like you have really attractive habitat for Bluebirds. Maybe put up a few nest boxes and if possible, a water feature such as MikeInPA recommended.
If you don't get your buntings, with luck you'll still have some lovely Bluebirds.

It sounds like you have really attractive habitat for Bluebirds. Maybe put up a few nest boxes and if possible, a water feature such as MikeInPA recommended.
If you don't get your buntings, with luck you'll still have some lovely Bluebirds.
Excellent suggestion, Eastern Bluebirds are just as nice as Indigo’s with the added advantage that they are present year round. If you do put up nest boxes then please don’t let them be used by House Sparrows. Keep a watchful eye on them for signs of House Sparrows nest building and remove until they give up. Same with House Wrens, they will build nests in any nearby boxes as well as the one they’re using.

You should come down to Newbury, Mass. and do one of my club's free field trips to Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area later this spring and early summer. We usually have a 100% success rate with Indigo Buntings in there. Brookline Bird Club. If you're interested in doing it I can provide details. It's just over the border of NH and Mass. The trip into Martin Burns involves a mile or two of walking over 3 hours

It is a decent habitat for bluebirds, but it isn't our property. Our property is somewhat small, and predominantly open woodland or edge habitat. Our lawn is disturbed quite a bit by us, our dogs, and cats (not ours). If we were to put up bluebird houses, I'd only imagine house wrens or invasive house sparrows using them.

I also thought that bluebirds preferred open areas with sparse ground cover and short grass. The field behind our property is full of tall weeds and shrubby cover. It's basically an "abandoned" agricultural field, although it is cleared out to some extent every fall or winter at the end of the year.

Last edited:
You should come down to Newbury, Mass. and do one of my club's free field trips to Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area later this spring and early summer. We usually have a 100% success rate with Indigo Buntings in there. Brookline Bird Club. If you're interested in doing it I can provide details. It's just over the border of NH and Mass. The trip into Martin Burns involves a mile or two of walking over 3 hours
That's a nice offer, but although I'd love to see indigo buntings anywhere in the wild, I'd say I'm somewhat more interested in attracting them to our town by offering them favorable habitat and food sources.

We live in northern New Hampshire, and we are actually closer to the Canadian border than to northernmost Massachusetts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back