• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Checklist (1 Viewer)

Hi, Mal,
You don't define Surrey. If you mean VC17, I'm not sure that all those waders should be in there as some will be from Staines.
If you mean modern Surrey, it should be pointed out that Jeff Wheatley is only recorder for the Watsonian vice-county.
Birds of Surrey by Jeff (2007) has several check-lists, so I'd have a look at that.

You should add at least the following:
black-throated loon
Montagu's harrier
little crake
white-tailed eagle
grey phalarope
Pom skua
long-tailed skua
razorbill
little auk
black guillemot
barred warbler
Icky warbler
rose-coloured starling
Isabelline shrike
lesser redpoll
parrot crossbill
I'm pretty sure that glaucous-winged gull was seen last year.

Cannot remember whether you had snow and little bunting.

sooty tern (not VC17)

Hi Mal,

a fantastic job you're doing but as Ken says, the area covered by the Surrey Bird Club is the Watsonian Vice County. Details here:

http://www.diporglory.co.uk/page7.html

And here:

http://www.sbclub.ukonline.co.uk/index.html

Boundaries of counties change, and much of Surrey is now actually Greater London, but the Vice Counties remain constant. Vice Counties were created for, and are essential to, continuity in recording flora and fauna.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back