• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angelsey-Where to visit? (1 Viewer)

Brian Eke

Hi all.
Looking to go to Angelsey soon and wondering what would be on offer and where to hit as it's my first time there. Any advice appreciated.
Thank's
Brian.

Hi Brian

There's three Opus articles for Anglesey, which you can access here.

I hope this helps until someone else comes along with more information for you.

Hi Brian,

The honeypot sites that are a 'must-visit' are South Stack RSPB at Holyhead (for seabirds and Chough), Cemlyn Lagoon NWWT (for Tern colony and Black Guillemot), and Fedw Fawr NT (for Black Guillemot).

I don't quite know what you mean by soon, but the seabirds at South Stack will leave very soon (if they haven't already), but it would still be worth a visit for Chough and maybe a few lingering seabirds. Ditto the Terns at Cemlyn, but Black Guillemot always in the area (as are Chough sometimes). Fedw Fawr only worth a visit if you haven't yet seen Black Guillemot by then, as they are an almost certainty there.

The only other site which may be worth visiting is Newborough Warren and Malltraeth sands in the south-west of the island.

If you are willing to come off the island, then the RSPB reserve at Conwy would be worth a visit (perhaps on the way up or back), particularly as the wader migration will soon be at its height.

Last edited:
Is there much in the way of seabird passage off South Stack?

Best seawatching spot for me by far is Point Lynas, though i've not been there for a couple of years. S Stack is too high, but you can seawatch from the headland to the south locally known as "The Range". Cemlyn, though very low, can be quite good too for seawatching.

Malltraeth Cob and the adjacent estuary are often worth a look.
Newborough Forest also, depending on what you want to see.
Malltraeth Marsh RSPB is a huge reserve which is underwatched and has had several rarities, including at least one Baillons Crake this spring...
Worth contacting Alan Davies who guides on Anglesey all the time: http://www.thebiggesttwitch.com/

Best seawatching spot for me by far is Point Lynas, though i've not been there for a couple of years. S Stack is too high, but you can seawatch from the headland to the south locally known as "The Range". Cemlyn, though very low, can be quite good too for seawatching.

Malltraeth Cob and the adjacent estuary are often worth a look.
Newborough Forest also, depending on what you want to see.
Malltraeth Marsh RSPB is a huge reserve which is underwatched and has had several rarities, including at least one Baillons Crake this spring...
Worth contacting Alan Davies who guides on Anglesey all the time: http://www.thebiggesttwitch.com/

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back