• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nausea - Bushnell 8x42 H2O roof prism (1 Viewer)

tm2383

Hi,
I'm sure some of you will remember my posts re. advice on choosing a pair of binoculars. I opted for Bushnell 8x42 H2O roof prisms. This was my first day off to try them today. Did'nt use them for more than ten minutes, but started to suffer from really severe motion sickness and had to stop. I'm still feeling sick 10 hours later!!
I reckon I'll probably have to return them to the shop. Is this an issue with roof prism binoculars, is it likely that is there something wrong with them, or is it just something wrong with me :) I do get sick playing video games, so maybe binolculars and me aren't going to agree :)
Anyone else had the same problem or heard about this happening?
tim

Last edited:
Describe how you were using them?

Where you panning a lot?

Tilting up alot?

My wife is currently feeling dizzy (that no specific dizziness that seems to come from moving the little crystals aroundd in your inner ear). Going out birding with my bins on Sunday she complained of dizzyness especially when tipping here headup. In this case I don't think it was the bins but the head tipping.

I've never felt motion sick after using bins. Eye strain with some models if I'm over accommodating for poor focus or DOF or if they're not collimated.

I would also add that I'm moderately resistant to motion sickness (unlike my wife!). Do you fel you are more susceptible than most? Or is this an oddity for you?

Sort of a bummer, I'd say. Those are not phase coated binoculars, and as such will increase eye strain, but it should not have nearly the degree of effect or nearly as rapidly as you describe.

I'm no doctor, but since you and your wife are both feeling dizzy at the same time makes me suspicious there is some other cause. Sounds sort of like inner ear infection symptoms.

Thanks for the replies. Thought it was maybe an issue with particular types of binoculars but evidently not. I wasn't doing much titlting or panning. I do get vertigo quite easily, so maybe bins are just not for me!
Thanks again,
T

tm,
I don't know about giving up on binoculars. Try a good lower powered 6-7x glass. The Busnhell H20 is nothing to base rejection of binoculars as an instrument on. Look arond and try some before you do that.

Or they could be slightly out of alignment......did you check them before you bought them - very very rarely they might suffer if mishandled when sent through the mail/courier system. I would suggest you take them back and ask to try out another pair.

Unable to offer any ideas. I have the H2O's and use them all the time and no trouble with them at all.

Nearest I have had similar was when I had new spectacles and they made the optical centres incorrect. It was as if I was cross-eyed all the time. I lasted about thet same as you 10 minutes, took them off and then had a new set made elsewhere.

I can just suggest the same as others try another set/model/make and see what they are like. You may have a set that is optically wrong and they may never work on anyone.

Hope you get more success.

Hi,
.....I do get sick playing video games, so maybe binolculars and me aren't going to agree :)
Anyone else had the same problem or heard about this happening?
tim

Hi tim,
If video games give you problems, and you suffer from vertigo (mentioned in a later post), then you may be able to become 'acclimated' to your bins...and possibly even video games. You might try adjusting to the bins by using them only for a minute or two, for several days, and then increasing your viewing time by small increments (as you reach your 'comfort level'). I sometimes get a bit of a headache when I first use new bins, but after using them for a while, I am able to use them for long periods with no problems. Your issues are much more severe than mine. I hope that you can work out a solution that will enable you to use your bins. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron Davidson

I used to hate panning with any binoculars several years ago. For this reason, it was good to have a wide field.

There are binoculars that might avoid your issues, try different models. Some hate porros, some hate roofs, you never can tell.

I got a sort of motion sickness effect on a boat with 8x binoculars. I think I would not have gotten it on the boat alone, the binoculars amplified the effect.

Maybe your binoculars is slightly out of alignment? Then, you are trying to compensate that through your brain, which can be quite a sickling experience. Anyway, it does happen on inexpensive binoculars..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back