• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you lie to strangers? (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Not sure what response (if any) this will get, but I was just thinking about this. I know there's probably a sort of birding etiquette, but not being a "birder", I go by my own rules, which are mostly just common sense. But I digress:

Up until a few years ago, I was a keen Angler (Coarse, not Game), and I fished regularly over a period 40 years. I was quite good at my hobby, and found it easy to catch Fish; although my interest in Nature made it a bit too easy to get distracted.

Anyway, there was often times when, for instance, I was catching shed-loads of Fish using Hemp as bait. Hempseed isn't a drug (as some seem to think, although in a way it is, as it's more or less Cannabis |=)|), but if you feed it little and often, the Fish get into a feeding frenzy, and you get fish after fish. In fact, at the right time of year, and in the right place, it looks to others as if you've the same fish on the hook all day.

So sometimes while catching all these Fish (mostly Roach) a stranger would walk by and ask what bait I was using, and often, I'd say; "Garden Worms". |=)| Now I'm not the only person who told lies while Fishing; many Anglers are reluctant to bring in their rig if the bait they're using is successful.

So I was wondering, does this sort of behaviour happen with "Birders". I don't mean with rare or Schedule 1 Birds, but with any Bird that might be difficult to find or to see.

So, do you tell lies to strangers? And will you admit it on a public forum?|=)|

Incidentally, when it comes to Birds, I tell anyone who asks what I've seen and where (except for certain sensitive species like Schedule 1 birds during nesting season)

LOL, well it seemed like a good idea at the time. But, thinking again, I can't see many replying with; "Yes, I lie"|=)|

Well, although I use to read your threads, you continue to be more like a stranger to me, so you don't expect to have a truthful answer, do you?

But anyway, when I face that kind of questions coming from someone whose intentions are not quite clear to me, I just tell him the truth about my concerns or just come up with kinda weasel answer like "oh, yes, it's sunny today, isn't it?"

Well, we only have your word that you were a fisherman for 40 years, that fish go mad for cannabis seeds, that you tell people what birds you have seen, that you don't tell them about rare or schedule 1 birds............but as you've already admitted that you're incapable of telling the truth to strangers, how are we to believe any of it??

Well, we only have your word that you were a fisherman for 40 years, that fish go mad for cannabis seeds, that you tell people what birds you have seen, that you don't tell them about rare or schedule 1 birds............but as you've already admitted that you're incapable of telling the truth to strangers, how are we to believe any of it??

You can't, it's all lies. And so is all that I've just typed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back