• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D70 - date of manufacture (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
Hi all,

dead simple question: how do I tell when my D70 was made?

I've been reading about the BGLOD problem with earlier D70s, and would like to know whether my bought-two-months-ago camera is a potential victim!

;)

Last edited:
Keith,
I use to a Nikon user, years ago. I don't know what the GFLOD problem is you refer to. But if you ring Nikon and give them the serial number of the camera, they should be able to tell you if you have anything to fear. What is the GFLOD problem?
Dave

It's the "Green Flashing Light Of Death"!

Apparently one or more of the early batches of D70s would basically die, nothing at all working except - you guessed it - the green LCD on the back which would flash until the battery died (it'd presumably flash for a loooooong time then!)

It's a known problem, and apparently only an issue for older cameras (which I assume mine isn't), and reading about the issue made me wonder about the actual age of my own D70.

Last edited:
Hi again Dave,

I've just had this from Nikon Support:
Nikon Support said:
I am sorry but we cannot tell the date of manufacture of a camera.

If this is a warrenty issue we would need a proof of purchase anyway for anything to be done to the camera under warrenty.
So ringing 'em up with the serial number might not help after all...

Ah well, I was just curious...

;)

Apparently I got the abbreviation wrong. It's BGLOD - Blinking Green Light Of Death - and I believe it was hardware related, rather than something a firmware update would fettle.

It only affected some early batches of the camera (cameras made in March 2004 being particularly prone, it seems - but then I'm back to "how do you know when it was built?") and then not all of the cameras in the affected batches.

An occasional "iffy" component finding its way into the build by all accounts, which can happen with anything.

It's a very strange problem really, the kind of electrical components found in a camera don't usually spontaneously cease to function without warning unless misused (which is how I've heard this happens). It could be that a tolerance was exceeded in the batch of components that was made part of that batch of cameras. A component or some components could have been improperly manufactured, i.e. mislabeled or made from a wrong type of material. It could also be that a batch of cameras had a component or some components improperly mounted or placed.

It's really quite mysterious the more I think about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back