• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x30W: exact dating and cleaning vulcanite (1 Viewer)

rerelks

Switzerland
Good evening, I have just bought a beautiful pair of Swarovski 8x30W binoculars (serial 864350) in great optical shape. Compared to my Zeiss Deltrintem 8x30 (DDR made) they are much brighter and crispier. I like them very much. I have a few questions:
  1. Can you help me precisely identify the year when they were made? From this great post and attached documents I understood this serial number is somewhere in the late 80s, but can we know the precise year ? They came with a little leaflet (attached) but I don't think it states a date on it.
  2. How do I clean the leatherette ? (I understand from this other forum that it's vulcanite.) I tried on a small surface with a general purpose alcohol wipe and the material sheds a lot of black residue, so I don't want to destroy it.
  3. The binos came with these interesting rubber coverings inscribed Habicht F3817. What are they? Dew shields?
  4. I noticed the lenses have the deep violet reflections this post mentioned, so I guess it's the Transmax coating that they have?

What do binoculars expert here say about this particular make? I have untrained eyes so I might be over excited over the quality of the optics, and so was wondering how they compare to the new Swarovski 8x30 Habichts and what other users think about them. Thank you !

rubber cups.jpg

manual 1.jpg manual 2.jpg

I wonder if 1/80 at the bottom of one page represents the month and year of printing. A water dampened towel works well for leatherette cleaning.

1. The binos came with these interesting rubber coverings inscribed Habicht F3817. What are they? Dew shields?
View attachment 1543438

View attachment 1543437

They're just rubber bumpers to protect the metal objective lens beauty rings from collecting scratches and dings. I bought a few pairs back in the 80s. They fit the metal rings on most 30mm binoculars, so they're handy to have around. There were also 40-42mm versions.

Hi rerelks,

You might try contacting Swarovski Optik. They were able to tell Tobias that his 8x30W unit #813,298 dated from 1961.
See his review at: greatest binoculars: Swarovski Habicht 8x30 review

As Roadbike suggests, the first printing date of the pamphlet is January 1980.

John
Hi John, Thank you. according to your super useful document I found here, this serial number 864350 for Habicht 8x30W should be at the later part of the 80s, right? Also the magenta color reflection pleads on them having the Transmax coating I would assume.
Regards.
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 14.00.33.png

I think Swarovski will be your best source for determining a production year. Guesstimating from the table I wonder if that serial number might be from the late 1970's to early 1980's. It was a popular design.

I think Swarovski will be your best source for determining a production year. Guesstimating from the table I wonder if that serial number might be from the late 1970's to early 1980's. It was a popular design.
Thank you. I think this should be right. I'll try to inquire with Swarovski directly, but from reading here other posts, I doubt they will give a precise answer for this old serial number. Anyways, assuming Swarovski had a uniform production of units from 1962 (serial 818'602) through 1989 (serial 881'845) that means 2342 units per year, so that indeed puts this serial 864350 in the early 80s, most probably then January 1980 when the leaflet seems to have been printed.

In which case, they are too old to have the Transmax coating, right?

Citrus-based cleaners are a good alternative to alcohol solvents for light cleaning IMO. Not high-octane stuff like Goo Gone which can dissolve things, but lower-grade kitchen cleaner orange stuff is my go-to. It helps with any lingering mildew or other odors. Also leaving them outdoors in the wind & sun for a few hours can work wonders on nasty odors.

The 80's coatings aren't quite up to modern standards but they're not bad either. I have some 80's Nikon E 7x35 porros that are some of my favorite binos. They are razor-sharp with high contrast during the day and very lightweight. I like the feel and durability of Vulcanite vs. modern coverings too.

The difference in the coatings is more visible at night. If you look at the Moon or streetlights you'll see some ghosting, scatter, and reflections with the 80's coatings that are not there in modern-day versions. But as you see the 80's ones are still very sharp and clear optics.

John A Roberts identified 1984 as the first year that Habichts were fully waterproofed and nitrogen purged. Those can be identified by screws covering purging valves on the hinge at the objective end.

John's research also might be able to help with the coatings. See this post: 3 New 8x30 Reviews by Holger Merlitz

Last edited:
Thank you. I think this should be right. I'll try to inquire with Swarovski directly, but from reading here other posts, I doubt they will give a precise answer for this old serial number. Anyways, assuming Swarovski had a uniform production of units from 1962 (serial 818'602) through 1989 (serial 881'845) that means 2342 units per year, so that indeed puts this serial 864350 in the early 80s, most probably then January 1980 when the leaflet seems to have been printed.

In which case, they are too old to have the Transmax coating, right?
Transmax gets mentioned in this and several other BF threads. With John Roberts excellent charts I was able to date my Habicht 6x30 to 1990. The coatings on mine reflect the same colors as yours. I would agree with your comments and would say the view is quite enjoyable. But a side-by-side comparison with newer models would show the benefit of improved coatings.
Swarovski

Last edited:
Enjoy what looks sounds like a very nice classic 8x30! Interesting you think it's much brighter and crisper than your Deltrintem (is the latter binocular multi-coated?). I've read differing opinions on older Habichts, some very positive indeed (greatestbinoculars.com) some not so. But if you can be half as pleased with yours as Tobias (greatestbinoculars.com) seems to be with his, you should be a happy man.

I'm interested in the concept of double coating (DV as marked on some Habichts). I wonder did any other manufacturers do something similar - or were the coatings used on all other binoculars of that era always strictly single-coated?

Enjoy what looks sounds like a very nice classic 8x30! Interesting you think it's much brighter and crisper than your Deltrintem (is the latter binocular multi-coated?). I've read differing opinions on older Habichts, some very positive indeed (greatestbinoculars.com) some not so. But if you can be half as pleased with yours as Tobias (greatestbinoculars.com) seems to be with his, you should be a happy man.

I'm interested in the concept of double coating (DV as marked on some Habichts). I wonder did any other manufacturers do something similar - or were the coatings used on all other binoculars of that era always strictly single-coated?
Hi thank you ! My Deltrintem are DDR made serial 3904xxx so don't know if they are multi-coated. I had friends test the two binoculars and they all picked the Habichts as superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back