• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden 18/5: 1 warbler or 2? (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
On the way down to the reed beds att Lake Tåkern in central Sweden I took some pictures of a warbler singing in a tree near a small pond. At the time I thought it was a Sedge warbler but when I downloaded the pictures I saw a Reed warbler with an unusual eye streak.
On the way back from the lake I got a few more pictures of a warbler in the same place. I thought it was the same bird but when I look at the later pictures it's clear to me that the second bird is a Sedge warbler.
Are they 2 separate birds or is it a trick of the light that makes the first bird look unstreaked? It's a bit odd because I got some sharp pictures the first time and the light was good too.
First two pictures bird 1, third picture bird 2.
There are more pictures but I'm not sure they add much.

Attachments

• 064A0634.jpg
    064A0634.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 064A0640.jpg
    064A0640.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 064A0706.jpg
    064A0706.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 65
Thanks Ken!
I think it's the same bird too but there is very little streaking is the first 2 pictures. Just normal variation in plumage and different light I suppose.
All the Best!

Thanks Ken!
I think it's the same bird too but there is very little streaking is the first 2 pictures. Just normal variation in plumage and different light I suppose.
All the Best!

I think as you suggested earlier Graham, lighting can play a big part in the ID process, couple that to the camera’s sensor and it can be a recipe for confusion. :eek!: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back