• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

Nice one, Rich. It's a tricky time of year. With luck you could see L Bittern, ibis, etc etc. A male LB was showing 'very well' this morning on Ham Wall according to birdguides...! I failed to even find the ibises last weekend though and it can then seem deadly quiet... Still a fabulous place to be.

Fully agreed AM. I saw an Ibis there in January so didn't go out of my way to look for them. L Bittern on the other hand would have been very nice. Always an excuse to come back next year though eh? :t:

Rich

Ok. Clearly I couldn't wait unit next year:-O. Arrived at VP 2 at just gone 6:30. Marsh Harrier, GWE, Green Sandpiper, Bitterns and LRP were present but no sign of Little Bittern. After a couple of hours a group of young birders came past led by a family I recognised from that Twitchers programme a few years back. The Craigs? They mentioned it had been seen and heard 200-300m further East along the path. Off we went. After 20 mins or so we were treated to great views of the bird on top of a reed and then in flight. So massive thanks for the advice all:t: Also present here were 3 Hobbys and gave much better views than when I was here with Sars.

We stopped off at the Avalon hide on the way back. At least 5 Marsh Harriers were present, 3 of which were dark phase. At one point a couple of the dark birds were squabbling with a pair of Red Kites which was an interesting sight:t:

All in all another great trip to Somerset.

Rich

Another trip to Shapwick Heath last Wednesday. We got there at about 7 a.m, and made our way up to Noah's Hide. On the way up we saw a GW Egret and a Teal amongst the Mallards on the lake next to the path. At the hide we had excellent views of a very noisy Little Egret. But the highlight was viewing an Osprey perched on one of the dead trees in the water. He or she sat there for a long time preening. The Lesser Black-Backed Gulls weren't to happy about it though, and one was particularly daring and dived bombed the Osprey!

Still no sightings of the Glossy Ibis - perhaps next time! :)

Another trip to Ham Wall lasto Monday morning my, starting at 7:00am and ending at about 9:30 am. I did a bit of writing on it in my bf blog. The highlights included a hunting female Marsh Harrier, a Bittern, a GW Egret and a large, swirling flock of Lapwings. On the way up to the Avalon Hide, a juvenile Water Rail was wandering about the path, and seemed to show little fear of me, meaning I could get quite close!

I also saw a strange looking wader at the second platform that I can't ID. I saw it briefly, flying up from the water with a flock of Black-Headed Gulls and then landing again. It looked brown above, the beak a little longer than a Common Sandpipers and the wings were very narrow and swept-back. I only saw the underside briefly but it looks mainly white and it looked as if there was some black on the under wing. However the most confusing thing about it is that at one point it spread its tail out, so it looked fan-like, to reveal it was completly white above. There was definitely no brown on it, and I couldn't see any black markings at the tip of it. Does anyone know what this bird was most likely to have been? Any help would be much appreciated.

Another trip to Ham Wall today , and after nearly 1 and a half years of earning mornings ... I spotted the Glossy Ibis! I views one on the 1st platform , which was soon joined by another, and they stayed and flew about for a bit. Excellent views - one of my favourite sightings ever! :)

I think this forum needs a bit of a Somerset boost and I propose to start posting records from my local patch and elsewhere in Somerset. The alternative site for posting records and items of interest is elitist and constrained and, at best, rather parsimonious with it's information. At worst, it verges on secretive. That's not good.

My posts will be in the following format:

Conditions:
Records of note:
Comments:

Feel free to comment and add your own.

West Moor, Hambridge

Date and time: 15 February 1330 - 1515
Conditions: 3/8-5/8 cloud cover, approx 10C, dry after morning rain. The moor is drying out after flooding at the end of January. A few fields have splash flooding remaining.
Records of note:
  • 1 pr common crane from Great Crane Project
  • 5 stonechat
  • 1000 starlings probably from Avalon Marsh roost.
  • 350 lapwing
  • 250 mixed wigeon and teal.
  • winter thrushes - small flocks in willows
  • 2 skylarks - one singing
  • 2 little egret
  • 2 common buzzard
  • 23 roe deer

Comments: A typical late winter day on West Moor but with expanded numbers of lapwing and dablling ducks probably because of the persistent splash flooding. Roe deer numbers seem to be high but typically February is when the groups are largest.

Date and time: 17 February 1300 - 1600.
Conditions: 7/8 cloud cover, approx 10C, dry.
Records of note:

Female Merlin quartering fields frequented by skylarks and meadow pipits
Green sandpiper on recently dredged rhyme.
Wigeon, teal, lapwing and starlings all present but less vocal and active in comparison with 15 Feb.

Comments:. Merlin is scarce on this moor. A good record.

Date and time: 28 February 1000 - 1130.
Conditions: Between 3/8 and 7/8 cloud cover, approx 4.5C rising to 7C, dry with stiff SW breeze
Records of note:

1000 golden plover
50 lapwing
200 starlings
1 fox
6 roe deer
3 buzzards
3 stonechats

Comment: Golden Plovers are intermittently present on West Moor over the winter so this record is not surprising but interesting that the duck, lapwing and starling numbers have fallen sharply. More singing skylarks. Reed buntings singing, too.

Took my camera, so some photos attached this time.

Attachments

• 1-AGS13880.JPG
    1-AGS13880.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 3-AGS13901.jpg
    3-AGS13901.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2-AGS13885.JPG
    2-AGS13885.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 4-AGS13913.JPG
    4-AGS13913.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 48
I think moribund is the appropriate term.

There is obviously a reason why the thread died a death. I tried for a while to keep it going without success. The SOS Message Board is very active although many of the top Somerset Birders no longer use it preferring twitter instead now. Anyway, best of luck. Regards Roger

Thank you very much.

I've just tweeted about it, too (@alicksimmons). Twitter is very useful but it will never be able to provide the same level of detail as a thread on BF.

I'll keep at it for a while -it's good discipline for me, too, as I've never been much of a record keeper.

West Moor, Hambridge

Date and time: 10 March 0930 - 1100.
Conditions: Between 7/8 and 8/8 cloud cover, approx 11C, dry with light SSW breeze
Records of note:

Pair of cranes, bugling.
Singing Cetti's Warbler, Stonechat, Wren, Robin, Skylark, Reed Bunting.
8 Roe Deer - one missing part of left hind leg severed below the stifle.

Comments:

The Roe Deer has had some sort of traumatic amputation (who knows how). The animal seemed in reasonable condition but not as well-fleshed as its companions and clearly not able to run at the same rate, nor able to jump over fences nor rhynes.

Resident breeders are starting to exhibit breeding behaviour but there is no sign of any summer migrants. Most winter visitors are going or have gone with duck and lapwing numbers sharply reduced.

Last edited:
Date and time: 15 March 2017, 1430 - 1615
Conditions: 1/8 cloud cover, sunny, 12-15 C, v light SW breeze
Records of note:

Pair of cranes, bugling.
Three pairs of buzzards thermalling and declaiming territories, plus one bird sitting next to partially completed nest in tree.
Herons heard croaking on their nests in Midelney wood.
Male kestrel
Sining Cetti's warbler.
Several roe deer
Several small tortoiseshell butterflies.

Comments: Glorious early spring afternoon. Despite that no spring migrants notes (apart from a chiffchaff in my garden 2 miles away). Fewer winter residents and the only ducks noted were several pairs of mallards. Kestrel was a probable breeder on the moor last year - perhaps it will do the same in 2017.

Got to Stolford yesterday just in time to see to see the 37 Pale-bellied and 2 Dark-bellied Brent Geese fly off around Hinkley Point (Not my count). I passed 2 male Wheatears on my walk and I was just counting the Common Scoter flock when a Police land Rover stopped behind me, I had got to 40 Scoters but probably missed a few. The Police only wanted a chat thankfully, I suppose they could then tick a box!!.
I then went to Steart WWT and at 12.15 I scoped a Short-eared Owl hunting. Saw my first Grey Wagtail of the year at Durleigh but no sign of any Sand Martins. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back