• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 Canon, IS with a monopod, beanbag, etc? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Using the Canon 100-400, which I have to say I have been totally happy with so far, I understand you have to turn off IS when using a tripod (anybody understand why?), but my question is should I also turn off the IS if using the lens with a monopod, beanbag or if simply resting the lens on the car roof, etc?

With the 100-400mm lens, if the camera moves, you may want to use IS - if the camera is not moving, there is no need for IS and you should have it turned off. It doesn't matter how it is supported.

compa said:
With the 100-400mm lens, if the camera moves, you may want to use IS - if the camera is not moving, there is no need for IS and you should have it turned off. It doesn't matter how it is supported.

I have a 70-200 lens and according to the manual it recognises when a tripod is attached and switches the IS off! I can only assume that Canon in their wisdom don't feel we need the benefit of a couple of extra stops as opposed to a bit more battery life!

But then I'm not a pro so maybe battery life is more important!

ApusApus said:
I have a 70-200 lens and according to the manual it recognises when a tripod is attached and switches the IS off! I can only assume that Canon in their wisdom don't feel we need the benefit of a couple of extra stops as opposed to a bit more battery life!

The reason for switching IS off when the lens is tripod-mounted isn't to do with saving power. It's because the IS system will induce a slight shake in this case.

At least, that's the situation with the 100-400. As you say, lenses with Canon's later version of IS will detect the stability of a tripod and switch the IS off after a couple of seconds.

It's all explained here

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back