• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone carry 2 binoculars in the field? (1 Viewer)

Rich N

I like my 10x42 for most bird observing, but when our briding group is walking under trees and near bushes 10x can be a little slower getting on the bird. Maybe I just need more practice with my 10s, but I'm thinking about carrying a second binocular in something like a fanny pack. This second binocular would be a 7x or 8x. Maybe this second "close" binocular could be a 32mm.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich

Greetings!

I often carry two. If I am birding during the day, I'll typically only carry my Nikon HG 8X32's with me. However, if I plan on birding during the evening, I'll carry my Zeiss Victory Compact 8X20's and my Pentax SP 10X50. I'll use the compact Zeiss until it starts getting dark, then I'll put them in my shirt pocket and switch to the 10X50's until it's too dark. Works quite nice... I'd highly recommend this combination of binoculars to anybody for evening use.

Another situation where I'll use two is if I am birding in an area with a lot of high flying birds. In that case I will also take the Zeiss Victory Compact 8X20 and Pentax 10X50 along. The 10X50's are used for the flying birds, and if I'm lucky enough to have any land nearby I will switch to the 8X20's for a nicer "picture window" view with good field of view and depth of field... along with the nice increase in viewing comfort that 8x allows.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

I often carry two.
Best wishes,
Bawko
Dear Bawko,

Once, I carried two, on an excursion to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. Much of the trip was in a friend's car rather than by public transport, so I carried a 12x50, on a monopod, as well as a 7x42. My friend was carrying a 10x25 but we shared the views on the twelve power.

There was a thread about carrying binouculars and a scope, which seemed to be favoured by some UK and continental birdforum members.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Personally I think it sounds a bit over the top to take two pairs of bins out with you. However any excuse to buy new optics....

If you are looking for another solution check out the Leica Duovids, they have switchable mag 8x and 12x - I've been using them for about a year and think they're great. Check out the following thread for more about them... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=15946

When I started Birding as a teenager - a scope (any scope) was well out of the question £`s wise so I substituted a really cheap (Tasco!!) 16x50 pair of bins for a scope for longer distance work - not an ideal solution by any means but better than nothing!
Many months of saving (paper round money) finally allowed me to get an Opticron Classic IF60 to go with my 8x40 Opticron Porro`s - hooray!!!

Rich N said:
I like my 10x42 for most bird observing, but when our briding group is walking under trees and near bushes 10x can be a little slower getting on the bird. Maybe I just need more practice with my 10s, but I'm thinking about carrying a second binocular in something like a fanny pack. This second binocular would be a 7x or 8x. Maybe this second "close" binocular could be a 32mm.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich
practice with your 10x42s. i started with 8x25s, then 10x50s, then 8x42s until just recently i bought my leica 10x42s. i can spot birds just as easy with these, just as i could with the others! even at close range. do some practice in your backyard or even indoors do sharpen your skills!

Sometimes, not often. The second pair then is lighter, has some other feature I need. I carry a bag that holds cell phone, glasses, field guide, extra pair of binoculars. Most days I need none of those. I found a new warbler the day I had NO field guide of course...

Just a brief comment on the Leica Duovid. I like the idea and they do perform very well, but I would like them better if they had a wider true field in 8x. I believe my 10x FLs have the same true field.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich N said:
Thanks. You're right, but it seemed like such a good excuse to buy another binouclar.

Rich
You never need an excuse to by another pair of bin's, ;) now were did i leave that last pair :h?: but stick with you 10x
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back