• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Curio 7x21 shaky image (1 Viewer)

catmouse

I bought a pair of these Swarovski Curio 7x21 pocket binoculars because I wanted a more compact daily carry binocular even though I own a Swarovski 10x25 CL pocket binocular. I also bought it because of the many rave reviews on Bird forum and other websites. However, when I looked through these the image is very jittery and shaky unlike my Swarovski CL pocket 10x25 . This surprised me because that is a 10X and this is a 7X I think it is because this binocular is so small and lighter weight maybe that I cannot get a stable relaxing view without image shake. I am 63 years old but I do not think my age has anything to do with the shake and jittery image. It is the small size and weight combination and not the build quality which is excellent as well as the image except for the shake just not usable at all. I also own a Kowa Genesis 8x33 no handshake either excellent image and wide field of view great quality binocular. I have also owned and sold a Leica Ultravid 10x32 and that gave me no handshake either wish I kept that Ultravid but the Kowa is just as good. Just my opinion what I experienced with the Curio 7x21 so do not believe all the hype on this pocket binocular. I suggest if you can to try one at a store if possible before you buy but I am returning mine for a refund.IMG_0107.JPG

Hi catmouse,

Yes, the sacrifice of a compact lightweight binocular is worse hold stability.
The Curio also has a slippery surface, which I found a strong disadvantage when I tried it. I actually felt that there is a risk of it slipping out of the hands when I unfold it.
However, this should not be the enough explanation for your experience of the Curio being more shaky than the CL 10x25, which is still quite compact and light. The only explanation I can see is that the small size and design doesn't work at all in your hands(do you have large hands?) so you can't get a good grip.
Have you tried supporting your thumbs and index fingers against your face?

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these Swarovski Curio 7x21 pocket binoculars because I wanted a more compact daily carry binocular even though I own a Swarovski 10x25 CL pocket binocular. I also bought it because of the many rave reviews on Bird forum and other websites. However, when I looked through these the image is very jittery and shaky unlike my Swarovski CL pocket 10x25 . This surprised me because that is a 10X and this is a 7X I think it is because this binocular is so small and lighter weight maybe that I cannot get a stable relaxing view without image shake. I am 63 years old but I do not think my age has anything to do with the shake and jittery image. It is the small size and weight combination and not the build quality which is excellent as well as the image except for the shake just not usable at all. I also own a Kowa Genesis 8x33 no handshake either excellent image and wide field of view great quality binocular. I have also owned and sold a Leica Ultravid 10x32 and that gave me no handshake either wish I kept that Ultravid but the Kowa is just as good. Just my opinion what I experienced with the Curio 7x21 so do not believe all the hype on this pocket binocular. I suggest if you can to try one at a store if possible before you buy but I am returning mine for a refund.View attachment 1556904
A 7x binocular that exhibits more jitters than a 10x binocular?
That can‘t be right.
Perhaps you don’t adjust your holding position between the CL, the Kowa and the Curio?
In my experience, you can‘t just hold any binocular the same way, irrespective of size, weight or magnification.
Just try to experiment with different ways to hold your binos and to place them before your eyes / position them differently against eyebrows, eyesockets etc.

I have to say that does not mirror my experience at all. The Curio being the least prone to movement of all my binos thanks to the lower magnification. As the OP says, it does prove the old adage of try before you buy (not always possible of course). I don't think the Curios would have received so much praise if this jitteryness was a common experience.

Just goes to show how different we are. Totally at odds with my experience of the Curio's and my wife who has liberated them off me despite her shaking hands.

She has a pair of Canon IS bino's which she loves and are as steady as a rock, but last week in the rain she borrowed my Curio's and was bowled over at just how bright, sharp and steady they were.

What a shame they didn't work for you.

Repeating what's already been said, but just having used both my 7x Curio and 10x Ultravid tonight makes it difficult for me to fathom more jitteriness from the 7x than the 10x.

Hi catmouse,

The Curio also has a slippery surface, which I found a strong disadvantage when I tried it. I actually felt that there is a risk of it slipping out of the hands when I unfold it.
However, this should not be the enough explanation for your experience of the Curio being more shaky than the CL 10x25, which is still quite compact and light. The only explanation I can see is that the small size and design doesn't work at all in your hands(do you have large hands?) so you can't get a good grip.
Totally agree with you!

It is about technique, personal physiognomy and personal habits. It is known that if we compare them with larger binoculars, all small binoculars such as 7x21, 8x20, have ergonomic and constructive disadvantages that require from us a certain technique and habit. In the end, they are pocket binoculars that cannot be compared with larger and more ergonomic ones. But, with time, we get a certain habit/technique for using these small binoculars "We will become friends with time"
Let's honestly think about this aspects: This grip with a much smaller surface, along with the really small focus wheel, make the use of these little pocket binos a little more difficult compared to the larger and more comfortable models ones(8x30, 8x32 or bigger). It is a fact and must be assumed even before buying these type of binoculars!

Hi catmouse,

I have medium hands and can hold and use binoculars well my other binoculars work well with handshake but not these.

A 7x binocular that exhibits more jitters than a 10x binocular?
That can‘t be right.
Perhaps you don’t adjust your holding position between the CL, the Kowa and the Curio?
In my experience, you can‘t just hold any binocular the same way, irrespective of size, weight or magnification.
Just try to experiment with different ways to hold your binos and to place them before your eyes / position them differently against eyebrows, eyesockets etc.
I have held these in many positions and aligned to my face I owned many binoculars I wanted to keep these but they do give a jittery image and will not hold steady unfortunately so they are being returned today.

When I use a compact bino, I put my hand no top towards the end of the oculars, the thumb below, also as close to the end of the ocular tubes as possible and then press my hand against my face while holding them, to brace them and give them more stability. Works pretty well. That way I can hold a small 10x25 more steady than a larger 10x.

Last edited:
When I use a compact bino, I put my hand no top towards the end of the oculars, the thumb below, also as close to the end of the ocular tubes as possible and then press my hand against my face while holding them, to brace them and give them more stability. Works pretty well. That way I can hold a small 10x25 more steady than a larger 10x.

Hi,

thanks for that.. just tried it - maybe my Conquest 10x25 and me will finally become friends...

Joachim

Thumbs against the cheekbones. Works with (almost) any binocular (and is far cheaper than any "headrest").

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back