• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Id/phase? (1 Viewer)

RKell1

Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Hi All
I'm thinking both pics showing Herring! (pic 1 Gull in middle, grey back white head & pic 2, two gulls on the left in grey plumage) open to correction though. Also if anyone could advise on what phase are these birds are in?

Cheers
Ray

Attachments

• 8707 050-1.jpg
    8707 050-1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 8707 044.jpg
    8707 044.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 246
Herring is right. There is other gull that look's like a Blacked backed Gull, I don't know if it is a lesser or a greater. There's a Shorebird out there to and looks to have alot of red on the neck, maybe a Red knot.

Last edited:
pic 2 I'd go for GBB Gull; pink legs. Herring in pic 1 and think the waders may well be black tailed godwits
Jono

Pic one is an adult herring gull and a 3rd cal year Greater Black-backed. The 2nd pic shows an adult Greater Black-backed gull, 1st year common (mew) gulls and black-headed gulls. In my opinion.

Pic 1. shows 2 herring gulls (an adult and a sub adult) with the dark gull in the center being an immature Great Black backed gull. The small dark headed gulls are Black headed gulls.

Pic 2. shows An adult great black backed gull on the right. and two juvenile Lesser Black Backed Gulls. The waders are black tailed godwits.

Pariah

The imm. bird in the center of the first picture looks like a Great Black-backed to me. I'm undecided on the 2 imm. gulls in the next pic.

In pic 2 , the gull on the left is a juv; i'd agree with Ben - LBBG. Definitely not CG. The other one prob a juv LBBG, can't honestly say it's definitely not a HG though!
Cheers,
Mike.

Definitely not common gull? - yet it is a lesser black-backed? maybe it's my monitor, but there is no way these immatures are even 2/3rds large enough to get anywhere near lesser black size.

Hi All,

Though I've got no first hand experience with nominate canus Common Gulls, I must say that the two mystery gulls in the second picture sure resemble images of juvenile Common Gulls. Those pale fringed, dark centered scapulars are imparting a rather young LBBG-like upperpart pattern, but otherwise, the features seem to me to fit canus better. As already mentioned, the greater coverts appear to be rather plain grayish. Also, the visible pattern of the underparts seems distinctly canus-like with a grayish wash ending abruptly just posterior to the legs leaving an almost unmarked, white crissum. Don't young LBBG's show much more patterned underparts with barring/spotting on the crissum?

Chris

Interesting one this, i'm certain they're juv LBBG's. I can't make out any plain grey greater coverts - they may be there - but wouldn't have thought CG's would show this feature so soon after fledging. Nor would juv LBBG's show any adult-type feathering either at this stage. Size wise they seem fine for Lessers, and the dark face on the left hand bird is quite distinctive. In my experience, juv CG's have extremely scalloped uppers - inviting confusion with juv Med Gulls. Thinking that i was losing my marbles, i copied the photo and e-mailed it to a very experienced and highly regarded birder who runs one of the Birdlines. I didn't make any suggestions, just - "what are the imm gulls?". He replied LBBGs!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back