• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (4 Viewers)

Enjoyed great views late this morning of one "probable" pale western 'fulvescens' tristis, feeding by the path 100 metres down from the feeders, also 4-5 redpolls on the feeders, one of which I think was a mealy with blotchy white rump, and pale underparts. Also a handsome male redpoll with bold red breast - I think this was a Lesser?

Be interested in other opinions of the redpolls late this morning between 9.45-11am.

Hi Nick,

Agreed. The bright male Redpoll looked like a lesser. Only saw one bird that looked like Mealy, obviously bulkier/paler bird.

P.s. was that you in the flappy hat? Would have said hello if I'd realised.

Ian

Hi Nick,

Agreed. The bright male Redpoll looked like a lesser. Only saw one bird that looked like Mealy, obviously bulkier/paler bird.

P.s. was that you in the flappy hat? Would have said hello if I'd realised.

Ian

Yes Ian hi mate, got to keep me bald bonce warm!

I thought it was you but was'nt sure, you were another chap (or two) I think.

I still find these flippin Redpolls tough. I always think Lesser show some buffy flanks, but the probable mealy I saw was a border line bird with a clear white blotchy rump. Was'nt really impressed size wise though!

Wasn't going to get involved in this but with comments below I feel I might have to.

There are that many would be sit at home behind a computer experts I felt the need to still use the word "probable" on the blog although it was reported to Steve Haynes (by telephone), two minutes after seeing the bird and RBA who chose to use probable as a "tritis" Chiffchaff. I do have experience of finding "tristis" in the region before and I am put out you choose to question the use of the term probable

My blog style does not allow me to go into vast details, my readership would call me boring if I did that, besides it now appears (I did know that I suppose I am being judged all the time). however all observers on Jan 1st felt as though we had obtained the full suite of charactors needed, fact. It was the assembled crowd that was not fully aware of Sibe Chiffchaff identification criteria and chose to use the word "pale", which in the scheme of things is fairly true.

What you need to ask yourself John, has a Ladywalk regular is just how long has that bird or birds been there before we hightlighted the fact that there was a Siberian Chiffhaff present, besides even on that morning we saw the pale type Chiffchaff at Eddision Road, how come there had been no talk of that anywhere.

If this is what finding a good bird in Warwickshire like you can forget it....

I also found a Greater Scaup at Lea Marston that morning, bet someone is going to me its been present for most of 2012!

Thats my final words on the subject, just hope everyone is enjoying seeing what is an ultra rare bird, especially in Midlands region.

I dont seem to remember you asking me if you distribute my images either, I am fully aware who Alan Dean is and I know would have been fully involved with the records commitee, I am not one on these birders that have to get my record slips in two minutes after my initial sighting and my documents will follow in due course...

Dave,
Extract from Martyn Yapps blog Adult Plumage
Knowing what these birds are like and in all honesty what we managed to get on the bird apart from the very distinctive call it will no doubt just remain a probable, which in a way is disappointing as we saw this bird on the way down the track and could have spent a lot more time with it.
This was on January 1st, quick thinking by Martyn got some shots of the bird but unfortunately they were not showing the right points, I sent these pictures to Alan Dean who served on the BBRC Tristis panel for 1 year to asertain the rarity of Siberian Chiffchaff, Alan said nothing could be positively identified from these pictures.
Therefore if you put probable to the County Recorder, you are in doubt of the identification of the bird so the County recorder would have no confidence in the record and throw it out, with no other evidence like good photo's. I went looking for the probable Sibe Chiffchaff after this knowing that Martyn is a competent birder, however I did not see the bird ( we now know the Sibes spend most of the time feeding along the river wall after insects).
Another report by reliable birder Peter Sofley (details Tame Valley Birding 9/1/13) of 4 Chifchaff and one giving a Bullfinch type call (however a Bullfinch type call on it's own does not identify a Chiffchaff as a Siberian Chiffchaff.
This sighting then encourage myself to look again and on the 12/1/12 I saw the full suite of characters on 2 birds and 1 gave a distinctive Bullfinch type call. I put the news out which has lead to experienced birders seeing the birds including Alan Dean and some nice photo's taken.
I am pleased that Martyn's original record of Probable Siberian Chiffchaff should have no trouble in being excepted by the Warwickshire County Recorder now.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Siberian Chiffchaff

Wasn't going to get involved in this but with comments below I feel I might have to.

There are that many would be sit at home behind a computer experts I felt the need to still use the word "probable" on the blog although it was reported to Steve Haynes (by telephone), two minutes after seeing the bird and RBA who chose to use probable as a "tritis" Chiffchaff. I do have experience of finding "tristis" in the region before and I am put out you choose to question the use of the term probable

My blog style does not allow me to go into vast details, my readership would call me boring if I did that, besides it now appears (I did know that I suppose I am being judged all the time). however all observers on Jan 1st felt as though we had obtained the full suite of charactors needed, fact. It was the assembled crowd that was not fully aware of Sibe Chiffchaff identification criteria and chose to use the word "pale", which in the scheme of things is fairly true.

What you need to ask yourself John, has a Ladywalk regular is just how long has that bird or birds been there before we hightlighted the fact that there was a Siberian Chiffhaff present, besides even on that morning we saw the pale type Chiffchaff at Eddision Road, how come there had been no talk of that anywhere.

If this is what finding a good bird in Warwickshire like you can forget it....

I also found a Greater Scaup at Lea Marston that morning, bet someone is going to me its been present for most of 2012!

Thats my final words on the subject, just hope everyone is enjoying seeing what is an ultra rare bird, especially in Midlands region.

I dont seem to remember you asking me if you distribute my images either, I am fully aware who Alan Dean is and I know would have been fully involved with the records commitee, I am not one on these birders that have to get my record slips in two minutes after my initial sighting and my documents will follow in due course...

Martyn,
Firstly I do not class myself as a Ladywalk regular, I visit Ladywalk very occasionally unless something turns up like Siberian Chiffchaff, Bittern, Nightjar, Spotted Crake. I visit the area now called RSPB Middleton Lakes usually twice weekly unless Spring or Autumn or something interesting is about. I rarely visit Lea Marston ( Steve Haynes does the duck counts here) or Coton (sometimes do the gull roost) I usually walk in the Hartshill area as that's where I live at present.
No doubt the Sibes were there before your report of Probable on January 1st, but a certain level of experience and interest in Chiffchaffs is required to pick them out by the usual regulars, most enjoy birdwatching but not seriously. Regarding birds as Hams Hall sewer outflow this outflow comes out of Minworth sewage works a great distance away and only at certain sections are birds visible so you need a bit of luck to see any Eastern race Chiffchaffs or Firecrests.
You have been birding for many years now Martyn and should know how to report birds either Siberian Chiffchaff, Probable Siberian Chiffchaff or Possible Siberian Chiffchaff, which takes seconds to write down and not long winded as you suggest for your blog. A quote from your blog Adult Plumage :- On our way out the reserve about a hour later we heard a single call close to where the earlier bird was, if fact it went into the same low level stuff and called several times. It's call was monosyllabic very plain call and very similar to Bullfinch and something that Ian and myself are particularly aware of, it is very distinctive and really very unlike "our" Chiffchaff call really and solely based on that we decided to put the news out as probable Siberian Chiffchaff, although RBA decided to omit the probable.
You state you put probable to RBA and the reverse in your above comments, I don't know what you discussed with Steve Haynes by phone Martyn but I can only point out whats on your blog.
I could have asked Alan Dean to look at your blog, however Alan receives 175 e-mails per day, so to save time I print screened and sent pictures to Alan for his opinion and have done so with many birds with many people with no problems. As I said you found the bird on 1/1/13 but did not positively with confidence identify the bird in your own words Probable. I will add that hindsight is marvellous thing and say don't be worried about those sit at Home computer experts, you can't beat being n the field. We are here to birdwatch, learn about birds with similair like minded people

Regards, John

Last edited:
No doubt John 174 of those emails are probably from you :t: You really come across as a prize prat with your latest post regarding the Sibes!!
Anyway back to real life birding the bird which Martyn correctly put out on the 1st as Sibe to those who actually listened rather than those who read on the internet/phone etc showed rather well Sun & today! The 2nd bird also showed well today but the 3rd bird (Confidently claimed by yourself John on the 12th? even though there's no mention of a ringed bird till at least the 15th!!) Is a different matter!!! Photos below of the Tristis birds + the ringed bird which is not straight forward!!! The ringed bird being the last 2 photos on the right (More photos will be added to my blog & website over the nxt cpl of days)

Dave

Attachments

• _M1Z0086.jpg
    _M1Z0086.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 44
  • _M1Z0141_filtered.jpg
    _M1Z0141_filtered.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 48
  • _M1Z9868.jpg
    _M1Z9868.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 43
  • _M1Z0343_filtered.jpg
    _M1Z0343_filtered.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 57
  • _M1Z0332.jpg
    _M1Z0332.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
For anyone scratching their heads with the ringed birds ID hopefully these photos will show it in a different light!! & Just goes to show why caution & letting people make their own minds up on birds like Tristis/Fulvescens is sometimes the best way!! Be interesting to hear some valid points on this bird & JH why is it a Sibe? ;)

Regards

Dave

Attachments

• _M1Z0246.jpg
    _M1Z0246.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 65
  • _M1Z0334.jpg
    _M1Z0334.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 59
Siberian Chiffchaff

For anyone scratching their heads with the ringed birds ID hopefully these photos will show it in a different light!! & Just goes to show why caution & letting people make their own minds up on birds like Tristis/Fulvescens is sometimes the best way!! Be interesting to hear some valid points on this bird & JH why is it a Sibe? ;)

Regards

Dave

Dave, I think you should be reading Birding frontiers and Alan Deans articles, having put on an Eastern race Chiffchaff as a Common Collibita on West Midlands Birding facebook and Tame Valley Birding , need I say any more. You need a certain level of intelliigence to sort out these birds.

Regards, John

29/1/13 For those into visual migration I have been noticing Skylark over in the last week some low but the majority call only, no doubt a cold weather movement.

Regards, John

Dave, I think you should be reading Birding frontiers and Alan Deans articles, having put on an Eastern race Chiffchaff as a Common Collibita on West Midlands Birding facebook and Tame Valley Birding , need I say any more. You need a certain level of intelliigence to sort out these birds.

Regards, John

John I suggest you re-read the posts nothing on any of the sites mentioned as Collybita!! Common Chiffchaff yes (That covers the species as a whole unless you know something we don't!!) Intelligence is also needed when spelling correctly!! ;) The 3rd bird at Ladywalk was also changed from Sibe to un-attached due to the fact my pics showed up yellow hues in the plumage on advice from Alan (Partly due to the fact NO ONE FOR DEFINATE HAD HEARD IT CALL!!) Now that myself & several others have heard it call over the W/E it has been advised to list it as Fulvescens although there are some features which still worry myself (ie bill etc not sure wether that is significant or not?) Also why we are on the subject if you are going to use my photos to send out to 3rd parties ie Stefan please ask for permission before nicking the images :t:

Dave

20/2/12 Ladywalk along the entrance track 1 Siberian Chiffchaff ( P. Collybita tristis) and 2 Chiffchaff (P. Collybita)
Hams Hall sewer outflow Green Sandpiper and 2 Chiffchaff ( 1 singing).

Regards, John

Hello,

I'm heading to Warwick & Warwick University tomorrow with my other half for a PhD interview. Could anybody recommend any sites in close proximity to these areas for an hours birding?

Many thanks

Hello,

I'm heading to Warwick & Warwick University tomorrow with my other half for a PhD interview. Could anybody recommend any sites in close proximity to these areas for an hours birding?

Many thanks

Brandon marsh,just off a45 on Brandon lane.From the roundabout A45/A46 nr.Cov airport head east on a45 and turn left after 300yards down Brandon lane and the reserve is signposted.
Otherwise if you are in Warwick try the Coventry rd nr .canal bridge for Waxwings.

Brandon marsh,just off a45 on Brandon lane.From the roundabout A45/A46 nr.Cov airport head east on a45 and turn left after 300yards down Brandon lane and the reserve is signposted.
Otherwise if you are in Warwick try the Coventry rd nr .canal bridge for Waxwings.

Hi
www.brandonbirding.co.uk is well worth a look, if you follow djl's good suggestion.

Cheers
Andy R.

Coventry

Hello,

Many thanks

WARWICKSHIHRE 200+ Brambling, 300+ Linnet in flax field opposite Vulcan bomber at Coventry airport, as per Paul Cashmore.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back