• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A tour of your garden (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
My garden is wildlife friendly I have 3 feeders 1 nestbox, 1 nest pocket,birdbath and a dangling acorn feeder. The tree that has my bath is my magic tree (well it is 2 me) also has a discoball so that it can sparkle into the kitchen so far no luck with pond my mum still says no she doesn't like garden gnomes so I have a few plastic birds a owl, goose,pigeon and duck n so that is my garden. whats yours like;)

I'm with your mum on the gnomes I'm afraid, Euan. I know Bill likes them, but they do nothing for me.

I've never come across a "magic tree" before, until I saw Bill's on TV the other week. Good luck with yours!

Show me your gnome and I will show you my blunderbust!!! There are one or two in ours and I hate them, shame one is plastic and refuses to break when I knock it over accidentially!!

I have three feeders around one of the fir trees with one being a block feeder for fat blocks (DIY). There is another feeder behind the potting shed in the orchard which we watch from our arbour (getting all posh now!). There is a coconut feeder placed on the wall in the front garden too and another on the washing line post in front of the kitchen window. I have plans to find a great looking piece of birch trunk (on the ground not off a tree) and put an eye hook in the top and drill out big holes to fill with nutty fat mixture and hang it up. Would look a treat, nice and natural.

hi euan
we have a gnome free garden, but 4 hanging feeders, 2 tables,
and 2 plastic water trays,+ 4 nest boxes 2 small holed for tits
2 open fronted hopefuly robins will use. good luck with the tree.
bert

My son lives next door and he has 2 Garden gnomes. One has a red hat and the other is swinging on a rope swing hung from a shepard's hook. Those garden gnomes are spooky and I feel like they are looking at me all the time. I try to make friends and always give the swing a push or two,but I still think they are looking at me and might be up to no good. I hope your mum will let you have at least one soon:)

Just been relaxin in my garden n hearing little chicks (theyre everywere I saw a baby Blue Tit yesterday my Great Tits r still in the nestbox and the Blackbird n House Sparrow r still in the nearby bush. Mum still said no I suggued we get a pond cus usually bout this time we get a frog hoping on our lawn (mebe ill b sneaky n build it lol);)

Get a stick o' dynamite and blow a hole in the night when Mum's asleep then she wakes up to find the rain has filled it in already. That's this Thurs/Friday when the thunderstorms have been forcast for!!

Part of my back yard was inspired by a book called The Sanctuary Garden by Christopher and Tricia McDowell (pub. Simon and Shuster). I have a half an acre and the back yard is bordered by forest at the rear. I have a deck on the back of the house and have followed the book in including water, wood, stone, metal, seating, and garden art (no gnomes). There is a copper trellis entrance way and a little stone path. A yellow honeysuckle is climbing the trellis. There is an artificial stream (15 ft) for the birds to splash in. I have planted viburnum and honeysuckle mainly. I am feeding fruit, nyjer, and hummingbird nectar right now. In fall, I will put out more seed. My main birds are cardinals, robins, titmice, black capped chickadees, woodpeckers, catbirds, hummingbirds, and goldfinches. There is also a variety of sparrows and finches (house and purple). I live in south central Pennsylvania and have a tremendous variety of weather conditions throughout the year.

Euan.

It might be down to how you phrase the question. Your mum might be persuaded to have a pond if you call it a 'water feature' - due to all those TV garden make-overs they've become very popular. If you offer to build it you can foresake stainless steel or glass stumps with underground pumps for a classic wildlife pond.

Dave

Hi Euan. I have a small yard .walls all round . there is a overgrown rosebush hanging overthe bottom wall.I have two washing lines with 14 feeders on them and a small bird table 5 bird boxes on the house and walls . It costs alot to keep them full but its worth ervery penny.Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back