• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your Opinion? (1 Viewer)

Adam81

United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion on my homemade bird feeder. It’s the only feeder I have in my tiny garden. I made it using a 250ml bottle to save money and avoid buying a flimsy one that might be chewed apart by squirrels. To stop squirrels from breaking the feeder, I made a baffle using a milk bottle and a plastic paint bucket lid. The tray, which is stuck under the feeder to catch fallen crumbs without collecting water, has holes for drainage. The feeder also has a roof made from a plastic divider from my file binder to protect against rain.

Previously, I made another feeder, which used to attract robins and tits during springtime because I fed them Berry Flavoured Beef fat suet pellets. But unfortunately some squirrel torn it apart and it’s gone now. Since it's August and it has been raining all summer, I'm not sure if my new feeder will have the same success. Right now, I'm feeding the same suet pellets in the new feeder, as I bought a packet ages ago and want to finish it. I'm wondering if it's still appropriate to feed suet pellets in the summer. The packet says it's okay, but I'd appreciate more opinions on this.

The new feeder is hanging on a metal rod tied to the top of my washing pole in the garden, about atleast 4 feet away from the nearest branch or fence. I decided not to ground feed to avoid attracting rodents or mice.

The feeder has two holes, each about 9mm in diameter, for the birds to peck at the Berry Flavoured Beef fat suet pellets.

I have a couple of questions:
1) Will birds eventually come to the feeder, or is it too high for them to climb on? It's around 3 to 4 meters high, and I'll need a ladder to bring it down.

2) Is it alright to continue feeding Berry Flavoured Beef fat suet pellets in the summer? The packet says it's okay, but I'd appreciate more opinions on this.

3) What's your general opinion or advice on my homemade bird feeder?

Thank you all for your input

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4374.jpeg
    IMG_4374.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I like your feeders, and unless it is hot enough to melt the suet it should be fine.

Hi Adam and a warm welcome from me too. Your feeders look fine to me, no problem with height either. I feed all types of suet pellets all year. My birds particularly like the berry ones.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back