• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzed By A Hummingbird! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum,

I refreshed the hummingbird feeders this morning. I have three: one on a corner of the garage, one by the living room window and one on a shed next to the gazebo in the backyard. Within a minute of the filling the living room one, a female ruby throat showed up. She must have been watching me from the trees next to the front lawn because she was on the feeder by the time I got into the house. After she left, I decided to go back out to rearrange the feeder so the ports were facing the window better. I'm still trying to get some pictures of her. Next thing I hear is the little female come flying up behind my head.... she wants the feeder and I'm in her way! She was chirping away at me and I was watching her reflection in the window. She flew away a little and decided in her frustration to attack one of the red Christmas lights on the house! With a few more chirps aimed my way, she took off for parts unknown. I thought she was going to land on my head!
She's been back to the feeder again already so I guess all is forgiven. Boy, they sure know how to get their point across, don't they?! ;)

They truly are fearless. Imagine us attacking something of the size differential that the hummingbird faces when he (or she) bravely attacks us.

Try putting your finger on one of the hummer feeder perches, and stand still.

Won't be long till a hummer perches on your finger to use the feeder.

Michael

Could you catch one of these birds with your hand if you wanted to? The meaning of my question: Are they so confident because they rely on their speed and know that they can get away from any attempt to grasp them - or are they just a little careless?

Could you catch one of these birds with your hand if you wanted to? The meaning of my question: Are they so confident because they rely on their speed and know that they can get away from any attempt to grasp them - or are they just a little careless?

Well, actually, I guess you could say the hummer caught me as I was bringing a refilled feeder to its hook ;)

Attachments

• perched hummer.jpg
    perched hummer.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 99
Maybe a compliment

Well, actually, I guess you could say the hummer caught me as I was bringing a refilled feeder to its hook ;)

KC, that's great! Knowing nothing about hummingbirds I would not have thought that possible; rather I would have guessed that they are very timid birds of rainforests and unpopulated plains, as hard to see as the mythical elves ... On the other hand, with THIS feeder before their eyes, how could anything stop them?

However, this reminds me of a few experiences I've had this summer: A very small mouse that tolerated being stroked with a reed-stalk (but it quickly turned around looking scandalized when I used my finger; later on it did run away, so it wasn't paralyzed or anything), a frog that climbed my finger (probably Hyla arborea, the European Tree Frog), and a dragon-fly (Anax imperator or Emperor Dragonfly) that did the same thing and even stayed there when I walked on.

I thought all of them must have some kind of brain damage, but possibly some animals know whether you're a danger or not (just as crows seem to know hunters and even their vehicles).

What does that say about the human race? Well, maybe this time it is a compliment - for some of us!

Ivan

Rufous are (other than Australia's male Antichinus - which mates so hard at 11 months it dies - and prior to that turns it's prey inside out before eating) ------ anyway, a male Rufous is the damned most violent creature on the planet. Someone said, 'If they were the size of Ravens it wouldn't be safe to go in the forest'. The size of Robins would suffice. All jacked up on speed.

A Dangerous Continent

Rufous are (other than Australia's male Antichinus - which mates so hard at 11 months it dies - and prior to that turns it's prey inside out before eating) ------ anyway, a male Rufous is the damned most violent creature on the planet. Someone said, 'If they were the size of Ravens it wouldn't be safe to go in the forest'. The size of Robins would suffice. All jacked up on speed.

Knowing the US only from movies I always thought the main dangers in this country are psychopathic killers, sadistic sheriffs and - above all! - diabetes type II caused by monster-burgers ... and now I learn that the real peril comes from hummingbirds! Or almost ...

Well, I think I'll stay in the old world. Though some of our owls are not to be trusted either ...

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back