• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (7 Viewers)

April-1

I decided to make a try at getting some higher quality images of the Japanese Waxwing and if possible of the one particular that has gone all out with the entirely red tail and so fired up the Canon 7D mkii and the Sigma 150-600mm lens. They are a dream to work with other than having to haul around the 2.9 kilos is the penalty, so nowadays I usually reserve it for times I'm expecting shots worth the effort. Of course what really happened was an outing with few birds and none of the Waxwings.

The Oriental Magpie must have had a good year last year as I am seeing more of them on my outings than I have in the past. I ran into ten of them over this outing. Speaking of which, early last spring, before I left for the USA, I was finding a lot of Dusky Thrush and few Naumann's Thrush. Still more Dusky around than usual, but the NT are back.

Not finding the either species of Waxwing, I decided to check out the marsh for more Embrezia species, but again, there was not a hint of anything except for four White Wagtail, a couple of Chinese Bulbul and two Red-Flanked Bluetail. I did spot a couple of Eurasian Kestrel working low over a nearby marsh area and they did stir up six Eastern Spot-Billed Duck. They all swirled about the marsh for awhile and then things settled back to normal. I walked half a kilometer over to where I had a good overview of that marsh, but could find no sign of the Duck, or anything else whatsoever.

April-2

Today outing produced one nice surprise in the largest group of Little Bunting that I have ever found and not in a location where they are usually found. At a little park along the river I found a wooded area that was swarming with LB that were singing away. I would hesitate to call it a flock since they were rather loosely scattered about, but still generally grouped together. I am sure there were at least 100 of them, maybe many more on the other side of a canal.

My first Little Grebe of the season broke cover at the bank of the river as I was stalking a Grey-Headed Woodpecker hoping to get a recording of its loud territorial calls. Nearby Naumann's Thrush were chasing each other about and a Hoopoe made its "Hoop-Hoop-Hoop" call in the distance.

Nine Chinese Bulbul and five Brown-Eared Bulbul as well as a small group of about ten Ochre-Rumped Bunting rounded out what was to be found at that location.

Just after reaching the main road again and turning back towards home, another family of about 20 Azure-Winged Magpie were all clumped together in one location, making their presence known with their loud calls. Apparently tiring of the racket, a Grey-Headed Woodpecker suddenly swooped into the middle of them and let loose with an exceptionally loud territorial call. That startled them enough to send the AWM fleeing. Or maybe it was the combination of that and the constantly pissed off look that the GHW always exhibit.

I had gotted started at 6:00 AM, just as the light was getting good enough for my Canon 70D and so was at our nearest park to see the family of at least 30 Azure-Winged Magpie making their morning patrol, sweeping back and forth over the park and the adjacent village. The different Magpie have by now pretty well worked out who's territory is what, but that park sits right on the divide and sure enough, five Oriental Magpie swooped in and caught a small group of AWM on their own. They managed to chase off the AWM briefly, but returning with the rest of the family, the AWM reclaimed the park.

Attachments

• Little Bunting.jpeg
    Little Bunting.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Naumann's Thrush.jpeg
    Naumann's Thrush.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Chinese Bulbul.jpeg
    Chinese Bulbul.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Grey-Headed Woodpecker.jpeg
    Grey-Headed Woodpecker.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 15
Great stuff Owen - sounds like lockdown is over in your part of the world.

Enjoying the continuing installments of magpie mayhem.

Cheers
Mike

April-4

I was delighted early this morning to find some activity in the recovering marsh near home. A couple of Mallard rose up out of the reeds, circled a few times and then descended on some fenced in domestic chickens, ducks and geese and helped themselves to some of the feed that had been put out for the domestics. After watching that I wandered off to check out what the Azure-Winged Magpie were nosily scolding. Just as I got out of sight of the marsh I heard loud calls that immediately brought me back. Sure enough! A single Grey-Headed Lapwing was circling about at the edge of the village! It kept rising up to circle and call and then dropping back into the reeds and disappearing. I stood there for over half an hour observing and as I did there became two Lapwing flying and calling, then three and by the time I left there were five. The commotion finally got to be enough that two Eastern Spot-Billed Duck also rose up out of the reeds and circled once before returning to their nesting sites. A few Oriental Magpe and White Wagtail added to the sight.

Hopefully, some more waders and egret/heron will spot the activity and move in also.

Great stuff Owen - sounds like lockdown is over in your part of the world.

Enjoying the continuing installments of magpie mayhem.

Cheers
Mike

The actual lockdown is pretty much over, though schools and some businesses are still closed and the larger shopping centers are still partially restricted. More and more people are out and not all are using face masks at this point, especially when out in the parks for a walk. Technically, I could be out at one of the lakes or riversides, (and would like to be), but that is where family pressure steps in. I don't want to use the public transport right now and I just get a lot of flak if I ask my daughter for a ride.

The good news is that the local PSB told us yesterday that they can extend my Q2 visa without my having to leave the country and that I am welcome to stay. That is good as presently going back to the US would mean a two week quarantine at my brother's and that he would have to take two week quarantine leave from his new job.

April-5

The Lapwing were just passing through apparently as none were to be found on the marsh.

There was no wind and at 6:00 AM the morning fog mixed in with smoke from patches that were burned off the previous afternoon. I did find at least 20 Eastern Spot-Billed Duck dabbling in the water and staking out nesting sites and Ring-Necked Pheasant crowed near the burned patches.

The bunting have disappeared as suddenly as they appeared, which is how it normally works here. However, they did move through faster than usual.

I think I will try another area nearby this afternoon, but I have to wait until then since I would be looking and hence trying to photograph into the sun right now.

One positive of everything this year is that we have now had over a month of beautiful clear blue skies with only a few days of rainy weather.

Attachments

• NT4A6767.jpeg
    NT4A6767.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 12
  • NT4A6806.jpeg
    NT4A6806.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 14
April-7 Xuefu Marsh

I returned to the local marsh and got good results again. This looks like it will be a regular this season, so I should come up with a moniker for it. Not being exceptionally creative with such things, I'll just call it Xuefu Marsh for the street that runs alongside it.

At any rate, with it being another clear day and without the fog and smoke of the day before, I got out at about 6:45 AM and ended up spending about four hours walking back and forth along the edge of the marsh and just standing waiting without covering more than about half a kilometer.

The main thing I was after was a better shot of the Intermediate Egret and so had the Canon 7D & Sigma 150-600mm lens. I also was trying out a monopod, but I have concluded that it is rubbish for inflight shots and I can manage handheld shots about as steady as the monopos was. I did however get some good shots off after exercising a great deal of patience waiting for it to appear.

There were also a large number of Red-Flanked Bluetail swirling about the park on the east edge of the marsh. Their numbers fluctuate widely here and this is looking to be an abundant year.

A single Common Coot, (Make that Eurasian, please, please stop with the common name changes! made an appearance on the water and the Hawfinch that has been hanging about was there, but now seems to have a mate, though it is still generally to be found skulking under cover.

Meanwhile a half a dozen Barn Swallow made an appearance over the marsh and four White Wagtail called and chased each other back and forth at the edges of the water.

The Oriental Magpie were once again working on what reminded me of assembling IKEA furniture as the constructed a new nest, complete with one handing sticks to the other and then hanging around to criticize. I posted a short video on YouTube if your interested. https://youtu.be/GJc7UGfxjRo

Then just as we were walking out I got a call offering a trip around Gedalou Reservoir that afternoon. Of course I jumped at it and it was worthwhile. More on that later. Right now I am still working through the photos and organizing a report.

Attachments

• Intermediate Egret.jpeg
    Intermediate Egret.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Intermediate Egret (1).jpeg
    Intermediate Egret (1).jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpeg
    Red-Flanked Bluetail.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Hawfinch.jpeg
    Hawfinch.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Assembling the new IKEA furniture.jpeg
    Assembling the new IKEA furniture.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 10
Fun to see the magpies at work, as well as all the other nice shots and sightings! So glad I don't have to build furniture with mostly my mouth with assistance from my feet :)

April-7 Gedalou Reservoir

Sorry about being slow about it, but the birding has been good enough lately that I am spending 2-4 hours a day actually hunting out interesting subjects and that much again sorting through all the photos and then processing and labeling them for my collection. Then the really hard part - forcing myself to delete all but the best.

I already reported on my morning activities at the Xuefu Marsh on the morning of the 7th (I see that I got that date wrong here on the forum as the 8th) and that I had received a call offering a trip out to Gedalou Reservoir for the afternoon. I couldn't pass that up so after a quick trip home to grab a quick lunch and a fresh battery for the 7D, it was off to Gedalou! It was, as I expected, what was for me a speed tour of the lake, but better than nothing. It is about 14km around the lake and we made the tour in about two and a half hours, just stopping when I spotted something I couldn't resist and insisted on stopping.

As I expected at the spot I had selected, when we first arrived we were immediately greeted with flocks of Common Coot up close and floating on the water. Stopping immediately and scanning with the binoculars, I could immediately make out Black-Headed Gull and Mongolian Gull soaring about and floating out in the middle of the lake, where they were basically invisible to the naked eye. Scattered about, mostly within 100m of the shore were Great Crested Grebe, which ebird still insists are not to be found in numbers there but I was able to actually count 52 even with just the spot checks I did ever kilometer or two and not counting what I am pretty sure were GCG that were just too far out in the middle of the lake to actually be certain.

The big flocks of the Black-Headed Gull were the most predominate feature with 375 actually counted and I am sure many more about. A long distance shot of a partially drained pond revealed nine Godwit. I didn't get a good look at them in flight and so I'm not sure whether Bar-Tailed or Black-Tailed. They were working behind a large mixed flock of gull. Mostly BHG and a few larger. Maybe Black-Tailed and Mongolian? I'll throw the picture up here and if anyone, like Lancy for instance, wants I'll forward them the RAW unprocessed files. Pretty far out an would have be circuitous and on foot to get closer. As it was I had already worked my way through 30m or so of woods to get a clearer look.

The only other thing with real numbers were the 40 Oriental Magpie I spotted, which is a normal number there as they are numerous around the fish ponds that ring the lake. The also seens were Red-Flanked Bluetail, which are especially common this season, Little Grebe and Little Bunting. Four Common Shelduck were floating far out on the lake, apparently lagging behind on the migration.

The cap for the outing was finding four Little Egret.

Attachments

• Common Coot & Great Crested Grebe.jpeg
    Common Coot & Great Crested Grebe.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Black-Headed Gull (1).jpeg
    Black-Headed Gull (1).jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Black-Headed Gull (3).jpeg
    Black-Headed Gull (3).jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 15
  • Common Coot.jpeg
    Common Coot.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Mongolian Gull.jpeg
    Mongolian Gull.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 13
More Gedalou pics

The Little Egret and some gull flocks

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpeg
    Little Egret.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Black-Tailed Gull ?.jpeg
    Black-Tailed Gull ?.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Godwit.jpeg
    Godwit.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 14
April-12 Xuefu Marsh

I braved the very gusty winds this morning to have another look at the Xuefu Marsh.

I immediately found that the Coot have continued to gather just about 200m from our apartment and I was able to get eyes on nine of them out on the water apparently arguing over nesting spots as they chased each other about the intersection of open water and the reeds. A couple of Garganey were trying to sleep in the middle of it all, eventually giving up on that and dabbling about trying to act like the Coot didn't exist. A pair of Little Grebe had claimed a nesting spot and would occasionally add to the circus by deciding to try and chase off the Coot. The Coot generally just ignored them though.

Over by the steadily growing Oriental Magpie nest, about ten of the Little Ringed Plover dashed about on a muddy area just far enough out from me to make ID really difficult and a few White Wagtail mixed in with them. A half dozen or so Barn Swallow apparently weren't finding much to catch up in the air and were also occasionally landing along the edges of that area apparently to forage for whatever the Plover were finding on the ground.

Some Warblers have finally showed up with 10 or so Yellow-Browed Warbler singing away from trees in the adjacent city park. Red-Flanked Bluetail continue to be abundant this year and even could be found down on the edge of the marsh along with a single Naumann's Thrush.

In the binoculars I could see ducks circling about half a kilometer away over the marsh, so decided to hike over there and see what was up. On arriving I found a section of the old fencing around the edges of the eastern half of the marsh had either blown over or the local villagers had pushed it down to gain access, so being in China, that meant that you can go in there and I did. The worst that can happen is to get yelled at and told to leave. Not like when and where I grew up in Pennsylvania, where signs weren't just "No Trespassing!", but rather hand lettered, "Trespassers will be shot" Besides, handier than just going around the south end of the fencing like I did the other day. That, by the way, is an acquired attitude that I have to watch when I am back in the USA.

I found the reason for all the birds in the air as I immediately spotted a Hen Harrier gliding along fairly low over the marsh. It spotted something and dropped into the reeds in what must have been a successful hunt as it disappeared and didn't come back up. After a few minutes, the ducks all settled back down on the water and I found mostly Garganey with a smattering of Little Grebe speeding along chasing each other along with two Northern Shoveler. Eastern Spot-Billed Duck are fairly numerous in the marsh right now and mostly stay hidden at nest sites in the reeds.

Attachments

• Oriental Magpie nest building.jpeg
    Oriental Magpie nest building.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Little Ringed Plover.jpeg
    Little Ringed Plover.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Little Grebe.jpeg
    Little Grebe.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Garganey.jpeg
    Garganey.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 15
More pics from the last week

A few more shots from the last week

Some nice closeups or Goldcrest and a Red-Flanked Bluetail so vibrant blue that when I first got a glance at him I spent quite some time following him to get a good pic thinking I might be chasing a Blue-and-White Flycatcher. As soon as I got a good look at him it was obvious though. Here at least, it is rare to see one this brightly adorned.

Attachments

• Goldcrest.jpeg
    Goldcrest.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Goldcrest (1).jpeg
    Goldcrest (1).jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Goldcrest (2).jpeg
    Goldcrest (2).jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Red-Flanked Bluetail (1).jpeg
    Red-Flanked Bluetail (1).jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 25
April-13 Xuefu Marsh

Back out to the Xuefu Marsh and the usuals about but there were also Chinese Penduline Tit in numbers throughout the standing reeds. I'm sure of seeing at least 25, but the movement in the reeds indicates there were many more present. A good sign as those are not just migrants stopping over, but actually do breed in this area.

Also did spot some movement a couple of hundred meters out near the Little Ringed Plover & White Wagtail, which looked suspiciously like possible Snipe, but at that range I couldn't rule out something like Dunlin either. Unfortunately, the people in the village adjacent to the marsh have grown tired of people from the adjacent city park feeling it was OK to just help themselves to whatever the villagers happen to be growing in their gardens and so have erected woven sapling fencing cutting off access, which prevents me from getting any closer to these birds. They are generally friendly and even cooperative with me, often having some of them point out birds they think might be of interest. I do sympathize with them and understand the concept of as soon as you start making exceptions to the keep out rule, you can rapidly loose control again.

Attachments

• Chinese Penduline Tit.jpeg
    Chinese Penduline Tit.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Chinese Penduline Tit (1).jpeg
    Chinese Penduline Tit (1).jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 18
April-22 Xuefu Marsh

Activity at the marsh peaked just about this time with the majority of the migration moving on and April proving to be a very dry month and hence the water level slowly dropping.

On the 22nd I first spent about an hour watching along the eastern edge of the marsh. Immediately evident were large numbers of Little Ringed Plover & Wood Sandpiper foraging off the exposed mud. A little way away from them and tending to stay right along the edges of the reeds or even back inside the reeds were numerous Marsh Sandpiper. Scattered about through both groups were at least a half dozen White Wagtail. Spotting movement in the reeds of something larger than the sandpiper, I scanned with the binoculars and managed to pick out a lifer in the form of four Common Snipe! Actually it was only on return trips that I was able to get a good enough look to be sure of these as I was pretty sure they were Snipe, but wasn't able on this trip to get a good photo. Then just as I was about to turn away, I saw a flash of yellow in the background through my viewfinder and managed to get a shot of another lifer, a Citrine Wagtail!

Checking out the brush and trees along the edges of the marsh came up with a few Chinese Bulbul calling and chasing each other about. Red-Flanked Bluetail were also flitting about along with some Pallas's Leaf Warbler and three Olive-Backed Pipit. Meanwhile, overhead, Barn Swallow and Red-Rumped Swallow soared and swooped. As is about typical for this area, there appeared to be about a two to one ratio with the BS predominating. Just as I turned to move locations, a Black-Faced Bunting popped up out of the reeds into a Sumac along the bank and appeared to be surprised to see me standing there. The Oriental Magpie were nowhere to be found that day, but they seem to have completed their new nest.

Seeing some activity that I couldn't identify at that range about 800 meters to the west, I moved around to that part of the marsh to check it out. Over there I immediately found, or rather I should say one of the Oriental Magpie that have a nest over there found me. About twenty Eurasian Tree Sparrow and another half dozen White Wagtail were working over a patch of bare ground. Up in some adjacent trees were seven Chinese Penduline Tit and I could hear at least one Red-Necked Pheasant crowing somewhere back in the cover of the reeds.

Seeing some ducks land a little ways away, I moved over there to investigate and struck the jackpot. I discovered four Black-Necked Stilt sharing a small pond with about 75 Wood Sandpiper & 25 Marsh Sandpiper as ten or so Little Ringed Plover scurried along the muddy edges while the two Eastern Spot-Billed Duck that had drawn my attention occupied the middle of the pool. All seemed very unconcerned with my being close by, which is highly unusual. It didn't last long though as a Hen Harrier made a low pass and panicked everything into flight. As the Harrier snatched something that reacted to the panic too slowly in the reeds along the edge of the pond , everybody seemed to decide, "I'm out of here!" and departed the area headed north.

Attachments

• Black-Winged Stilt & Wood Sandpiper.jpeg
    Black-Winged Stilt & Wood Sandpiper.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Marsh Sandpiper (front) - Wood Sandpiper (rear).jpeg
    Marsh Sandpiper (front) - Wood Sandpiper (rear).jpeg
    643.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Chinese Penduline Tit.jpeg
    Chinese Penduline Tit.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Home Sweet Home - Oriental Magpie Nest.jpeg
    Home Sweet Home - Oriental Magpie Nest.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 12
Nice to hear about everything Owen. Have the Magpies finished building and started on laying yet, or perhaps that's still a little ways away?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back