• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Day-flying" moth id (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

Photo taken earlier today in a scrubby conifer plantation near Carlisle.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_6463 ed for id.jpg
    IMG_6463 ed for id.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 55
Almost impossible to say. Someone may have a better stab at this than me - I was really impressed by the potential Oblique Striped identification a few threads back. It appears to be a medium sized geometer with a prominent cross band to the forewing bordered by a white lower border bisected by a dark line which draws me to Common Carpet:-

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4606

But that's guesswork that may be more Inspector Clouseau than Sherlock Holmes.

All the best

Many thanks for the reply, Paul.

Although it was about the same size as a Common Carpet (wingspan of 2-3cm), I've seen plenty of those, and it certainly didn't look like one at the time. In fact it looked white as I was chasing it in the sunlight, and I was a bit surprised when I later looked at the photo and saw the underwing markings. I thought the way it was perched with its wings held up might narrow things down?

Paul

Paul

Not really. Almost anything can sit with its wings held together. The fact that it appeared whitish may suggest something like Silver-ground Carpet if that has a similar underwing - a few of those on the wing currently by day - indeed I saw one this morning - but unless someone can find a comprehensive website of geometers sitting in a similar pose I doubt you'll get much further.

All the best

Thanks for the clarification on the wing position, Paul.

The S-g Carpet would seem to tick many of the boxes, but unless there are any other comments I'll just accept that it's not identifiable with any confidence. I'll see if I can get a better shot next time, as there were a few of them about - although this is the only one I saw perched.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back