• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harrier - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Pavel

ID please, I would opt for a juvenile Hen Harrier but the head pattern is also similar to Pallid Harrier. Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• C_cyaneus.jpg
    C_cyaneus.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 144
Hen Harrier has five visible "fingers" , whereas Pallid has four. Hen is also more broad-winged , so I would agree with your assessment.Pallid looks pointy wingd, Hen more rounded too.

Thanks guys, I am attaching another photo where I see five fingers and a lot of white on rump.

Attachments

• Hen_Harrier.jpg
    Hen_Harrier.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 108
A North Norfolk bird a few weeks ago, that was first identified as a Pallid but after a series of excellent photos was confirmed as a hybrid.
Why not?

A North Norfolk bird a few weeks ago, that was first identified as a Pallid but after a series of excellent photos was confirmed as a hybrid.
Why not?

What speaks against the hybrid is the fact that this is a juvenile (have a look at the coverts on upperwing) and is so heavily streaked below as a bog standard Hen. Also remember Dick Forsman: 'the real challenge is Hen - Pallid where both occur side by side'.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back