• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

John

I tend to go blind looking at that sort of data, but I think it implies that we should be 5.4 (or 0.54) as opposed to today's 4.9 (0.49). Similarly, my estimate of needing to be about 0.3 (0.03) higher 5.2 (0.52) at this time of year is just about spot on... if a little on the conservative side.

This time last year it was at 0.52:t:

This time last year it was at 0.52:t:

It was 0.48 on Sunday (19/02) when I took salinity samples. On 20/02 last year it was 0.54 so by my reckoning we are 0.06 down. Considering we are reportedly experiencing one of the driest periods since 1976 I don't think we're doing too badly really.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know Sy!

I am not completely up to date with the latest developments on the hide as I only drop in to the forum occasionally and to wind a few people up about petty subjects? (JOKE) To be honest I have got bored with all the moaning and groaning about the new hide! I am looking forward to seeing it for myself and making up my own opinion - I do have my own opinions as you well know and I am not afraid to express them! It's nice to know that you haven't forgot about our little altercation recently regarding the kingfisher perches! Never mind - if you are around tomorrow please make yourself known to me as we both seem to be passionate about these things? You probably know who I am but just in case you don't I am a Nikon man, with a big 400mm lens mounted on a Wimberley Gimbal head and yes I am a Volvo driver!!! Oh dear - you will probably have a field day now! Looking forward to meeting you sometime!

As John as already mentioned, the new hide will take time to bed in and adjustments may well be needed. We will keep up a regular liaison with the Trust so in the meantime I would be grateful for any feedback (good and bad) on the new hide from from both regular and irregular users so we can make the best of the resource that we have got. So, to all visitors, please keep your comments coming.

As John as already mentioned, the new hide will take time to bed in and adjustments may well be needed. We will keep up a regular liaison with the Trust so in the meantime I would be grateful for any feedback (good and bad) on the new hide from from both regular and irregular users so we can make the best of the resource that we have got. So, to all visitors, please keep your comments coming.

Phil, I have let John know the complaints I heard yesterday(thurs), they were mainly pathetic quibbles to be honest, that may seem harsh but it's true, however some genuine concerns were also raised :t:

Phil, I have let John know the complaints I heard yesterday(thurs), they were mainly pathetic quibbles to be honest, that may seem harsh but it's true, however some genuine concerns were also raised :t:

Thanks Gav - I suspect many of the issues will be around the two large first floor windows for which there is no easy answer; these were specified in the original design and the planning consent. Whilst they look nice "on paper", how practical they were in the long run will remain to be seen. I just wonder how many complaints there would have been if we hadnt raised issues with the Trust during the (prolonged) course of the build ...

Thanks Gav - I suspect many of the issues will be around the two large first floor windows for which there is no easy answer; these were specified in the original design and the planning consent. Whilst they look nice "on paper", how practical they were in the long run will remain to be seen. I just wonder how many complaints there would have been if we hadnt raised issues with the Trust during the (prolonged) course of the build ...

Ha that's a great point, it seems to be the nature of people to complain, we should be grateful we have a wonderful habitat to watch birds, also more so, we should be grateful that those wonderful birds choose to set up home there, people don't know when they have it good.

LRP return dates

A summary of the educated / informed / widely speculative ;) guesses at Little Ringed Plover's return date in March are as follows:

8th - Mark (Hagar)
9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
11th - Mike (Wheatearlrp)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
16th - Andy (Spoonbill Finder)
17th - myself
18th - NO TAKERS!
19th - Chris (Cooky)

A summary of the educated / informed / widely speculative ;) guesses at Little Ringed Plover's return date in March are as follows:

8th - Mark (Hagar)
9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
17th - myself
18th - NO TAKERS!
19th - Chris (Cooky)

Have a closer look - Mark (Hagar1) chose 6th not 8th, Phil! Just so we get it right.8-P

Returning LRPs

Have a closer look - Mark (Hagar1) chose 6th not 8th, Phil! Just so we get it right.8-P

OK, lets do that again:

A summary of the educated / informed / widely speculative guesses at Little Ringed Plover's return date in March are as follows:

6th - Mark (Hagar)
7th - NO TAKERS
8th - NO TAKERS
9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
17th - myself
18th - NO TAKERS
19th - Chris (Cooky)
20th - NO TAKERS

Ha that's a great point, it seems to be the nature of people to complain, we should be grateful we have a wonderful habitat to watch birds, also more so, we should be grateful that those wonderful birds choose to set up home there, people don't know when they have it good.

Personally, I would welcome feedback as long as it's done in a positive, constructive way. The people who commissioned this hide need to understand our requirements better or they'll never learn for future projects and their performance will continue to be mediocre. Complaining about what is not good is a healthy thing in my book and it's the only way things are likely to improve. There are some obvious design faults with this hide but we'll just have to live with some of them for now at least. After using the hide for the first time on Sunday I'm actually much more optimistic and positive than I was a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, health and safety concerns are paramount and should be brought to the fore so they can be dealt with ASAP. :t:

Just a few record shots from a short spell this morning.

A very soft grim and grainy photo of the adult LBBG landing on one of the distant Flashes posts, but I included it because I thought it showed the primary pattern particularly well.

LBBG 1.jpg

I asked Gert not to dis my twigs, but it was never intended for Wagtails!

PW 1.jpg

Supposed fellow birders wandered past the Larches next to the boats, totally oblivious to their contents. They're always worth a look as John and I found both Lesser Redpoll and Siskin feeding merrily this morning...

S 1.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I would welcome feedback as long as it's done in a positive, constructive way. The people who commissioned this hide need to understand our requirements better or they'll never learn for future projects and their performance will continue to be mediocre. Complaining about what is not good is a healthy thing in my book and it's the only way things are likely to improve. There are some obvious design faults with this hide but we'll just have to live with some of them for now at least. After using the hide for the first time on Sunday I'm actually much more optimistic and positive than I was a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, health and safety concerns are paramount and should be brought to the fore so they can be dealt with ASAP. :t:

I agree Dave, but the main point I was getting at was the constant moaning by people about the management of the reserve, in particular the clearing done by the feeder hide. There were also people complaining today, about the big tree that has been cut down. It is difficult to educate these people in the fine art of conservation management, some of the comments I found to be below the belt about people I regard as friends :C

I agree Dave, but the main point I was getting at was the constant moaning by people about the management of the reserve, in particular the clearing done by the feeder hide. There were also people complaining today, about the big tree that has been cut down. It is difficult to educate these people in the fine art of conservation management, some of the comments I found to be below the belt about people I regard as friends :C

I wasn't aware of that. People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how naive they may be. If they want to make some constructive input into the management of the reserve then they are welcome to join one of the work parties and, thereby, assert some influence. Otherwise their constant moaning will be duly ignored. Cheers Gav.

Andy H and myself cut and treated some of the willows in the middle of the car park reed bed. This will help the reeds thrive and lessen the sponge effect of the trees.
Sy also sorted the problem with the new hides 1st floor door catch.
Like Gav said some people will moan about anything , but if there are any valid points that you think we can sort without getting the builders back PM or email me or Phil. :t:
We have started a snagging list, 1 down a few more to go.;)
1 valid concern is for hide clamps. The problem is this: along the underside near edge of the shelf is recess varying from 1 to 3cm. This means, that at present if the 'jaw' of your clamp from front to back is less than 2 inches it will not clamp fully. We have come up with a remedy and will sort it asap.
Some of the habitat around the hide will be sorted on next Sunday's (4th March) final Flashes work party.
B :)John

Thats the big WILLOW tree, well-renown for their capacity to suck up water in this WETLAND reserve, which was split and posing a real danger to the visiting public right by the path?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back