• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new 8x30 CLl's (1 Viewer)

"but, more importantly, they could all be repeated by other observers using the same or similar procedures. In that case, repetition would serve a useful purpose."

Repetition of his procedures by other observors and the statistical results of those findings are the only way I would even begin to believe his results. ONE person using even controlled procedures is not valid scientific data especially when his results are based on subjective measurement by his eyes. For that reason his review is no more objective than any of the other reviews. Henry has biases and preconceived ideas about what he should see just like anybody else. We know from past reviews that he likes Zeiss products. People tend to take his reviews as fact because he obviously has alot of textbook optical knowledge to back them up with but they are no more founded in scientific method than any of these other reviews. You would be very foolish to take any one mans opinion on to buy or not buy a particular pair of binoculars such as the Swarovski CL. Now if twenty people say they are very good you would have a better chance of being satisfied with such binoculars.

Dennis,
You are always looking for a fight.
Bob

Dennis,
You are always looking for a fight.
Bob

No, it seems like people like to argue with me. When I feel a binocular is a good value and it is very good optically and most people are agreeing and then one person takes a counter position I am going to defend my opinion. Maybe it is because I take a strong viewpoint on certain thing whereas other people tend to stay neutral and agree with everything. I think it makes it more interesting if people disagree and argue a little as long as they don't start getting defensive and resorting to name calling. It makes people dig and really think about their position. You have to admit some of my threads have been pretty interesting and they have really covered the topic well with alot of input from alot of different people. Alot of the people give up to easily on this forum. It's like I was going to buy a CL but Henry Link said they are only so-so and he is the optical expert on this forum so now I am not. I think that is baloney. It is just one person's opinion. Henry has alot of textbook optical knowledge but don't let him tell you a binocular is just average until you try it yourself. It might be the best binocular for you that you have ever used!

Last edited:
I own a CL 10x30, im very happy with them.

Sharpness and contrast are very good, way better then my old Vortex Fury.
The sweet spot is at least the 70% of the fov, with perfect pin point stars.

At the edge it hold a good sharpness, i think that the 10x has better edge performance then 8x, in fact even without a flat field it show a good contrast, enought good to feel satisfied.

There is some chromatic residual at the edge, if you have enought experience you can notice it even at the center field but only in particularly conditions, like observing in backlight.

I cannot say that it is the best 30-32mm bino on market, because it is simply no true. I have tried all the top binoculars on the market, from Leica to Zeiss and without doubt it is not the best.

But you must consider what you get for the PRICE: Swaro EL, Leica Ultravid HD, Zeiss FL are ofc better bino but they cost a lot more, sometimes twice the price.

In my opinion the CL is the right compromise in performance and price between the high-end chinese binoculars such ZEN and other, and the alpha from Swarovski, Leica, ecc ecc.

If you consider that you get for the price the best warranty in the world then it worth every single euro.

Let me say that it also looks great and i can held it better then any other 25/30mm binocular i have tried.

greets,
Ivan

Good summation. One point to consider though is how much smaller the CL is compared to the alpha 32mm's. It makes me wonder if the 30mm isn't going to take the title away from the 32mm for most popular birding binocular size. 17oz is alot lighter than 20oz and the CL is alot more compact than even the Zeiss FL or Leica HD. If Swarovski made a CL HD in a 30mm with different eyepieces that allowed a bigger FOV it could revolutionize the birding binocular industry with 30mm being the new standard aperture. I see birding binoculars going down in size as long as technology keeps improving which keeps there performance at the same level as the bigger aperture.

Last edited:
From what I read on this thread I sense that Dennis is saying bad things about my impressions of the 8x30 CL. Well, I'm happy to say I don't know what those things are. I recently did something I never expected to do. I created an Ignore List of one.

Thanks Henry for your informal evaluation of the 8x30 CL--it puts an experienced 'eye' onto the binos & gives an impartial result--I'm going to stick with my 8x30 SLC Neus!

Henry: Just wanted to let you know that your evaluations of optics
are GREATLY appreciated on the Forum, and that your comments are a valuable service to those in seeking the best optics for their personal use. :t:

Re-inventing the wheel

Good summation. ...................... If Swarovski made a CL HD in a 30mm with different eyepieces that allowed a bigger FOV it could revolutionize the birding binocular industry with 30mm being the new standard aperture. I see birding binoculars going down in size as long as technology keeps improving which keeps there performance at the same level as the bigger aperture.

Now I'm new to the bino scene but I find these discussions about optics fascinating and enlightening, too.
With regard to denco's 'prediction' about 8x30s hasn't this size been popular previously? I've recently bought a 10 years old Svaro SLC 8x30 WB Mark III and Nikon has the esteemed 8x30 E2 still in production.

It's like I was going to buy a CL but Henry Link said they are only so-so and he is the optical expert on this forum so now I am not. I think that is baloney. It is just one person's opinion. Henry has alot of textbook optical knowledge but don't let him tell you a binocular is just average until you try it yourself. It might be the best binocular for you that you have ever used!

This is nonsense.

Now, how does this ignore list work?

Hermann

From what I read on this thread I sense that Dennis is saying bad things about my impressions of the 8x30 CL. Well, I'm happy to say I don't know what those things are. I recently did something I never expected to do. I created an Ignore List of one.

:D

Not really bad Henry. Basically he thinks that your methods aren't any better than anyone else that decides to post a review of optics.

I, for another one, definitley appreciate your contributions. It always proves a nice counterpoint to the rest of us that tend to rely more on personal impressions rather than measurable data.

I do find one thing particularly amusing. It seems Dennis and I take turns with threads that spur "discussion". Either he is touting whatever new bin he has as the best out there or I am involved in some discussion on the quality of Chinese optics.

;)

No, it seems like people like to argue with me. When I feel a binocular is a good value and it is very good optically and most people are agreeing and then one person takes a counter position I am going to defend my opinion. Maybe it is because I take a strong viewpoint on certain thing whereas other people tend to stay neutral and agree with everything. I think it makes it more interesting if people disagree and argue a little as long as they don't start getting defensive and resorting to name calling. It makes people dig and really think about their position. You have to admit some of my threads have been pretty interesting and they have really covered the topic well with alot of input from alot of different people. Alot of the people give up to easily on this forum. It's like I was going to buy a CL but Henry Link said they are only so-so and he is the optical expert on this forum so now I am not. I think that is baloney. It is just one person's opinion. Henry has alot of textbook optical knowledge but don't let him tell you a binocular is just average until you try it yourself. It might be the best binocular for you that you have ever used!

The only opinion what matters is your own, only you know what puts a smile on your face when you look through your bino.
I have not looked through a CL yet, i am still very much in awe of my 12xSV, i may be the only person on the forum to use one i dont know, but i wouldn't swap it for anything else, it spoils you.
Enjoy your CL...B :)

Now I'm new to the bino scene but I find these discussions about optics fascinating and enlightening, too.
With regard to denco's 'prediction' about 8x30s hasn't this size been popular previously? I've recently bought a 10 years old Svaro SLC 8x30 WB Mark III and Nikon has the esteemed 8x30 E2 still in production.

Yes, 30mm's have always been around but 32mm's are probably the most popular birding size right now. If the CL sells well I could see that popularity shifting down to 30mm. After having the CL I can see there is a big size and weight advantage over 32mm binoculars. With improved coatings you are getting the same brightness with less aperture. Any of the big three could make an alpha 30mm that could compete with the alpha 32mm's and you would have a more compact package. I really like the size and weight of this CL.

Last edited:
The only opinion what matters is your own, only you know what puts a smile on your face when you look through your bino.
I have not looked through a CL yet, i am still very much in awe of my 12xSV, i may be the only person on the forum to use one i dont know, but i wouldn't swap it for anything else, it spoils you.
Enjoy your CL...B :)

So true. I am going to have to look at that SV 12x again. I was very impressed with it and the 10x at Cabellas. I would like to try it outside and give it a better test. The 10x SV simply blew the Zeiss 10x42 FL away. I couldn't believe the difference. Honestly!

Last edited:
Good summation. One point to consider though is how much smaller the CL is compared to the alpha 32mm's. It makes me wonder if the 30mm isn't going to take the title away from the 32mm for most popular birding binocular size. 17oz is alot lighter than 20oz and the CL is alot more compact than even the Zeiss FL or Leica HD. If Swarovski made a CL HD in a 30mm with different eyepieces that allowed a bigger FOV it could revolutionize the birding binocular industry with 30mm being the new standard aperture. I see birding binoculars going down in size as long as technology keeps improving which keeps there performance at the same level as the bigger aperture.

Dennis,
From many years prior to WW II and well after it the 30mm objective was the standard of the binocular industry. Millions and millions were made for the world's armies. Lives depended on 6 x 30 porro prism binoculars. Officers and the Navies got larger ones.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Old French Proverb.

Bob

I am not saying bad things about your review. I just don't want people to think one review is the end all of reviews and then base their decision on whether or not they are going to purchase that binocular based on just that review. Your reviews obviously carry more weight with most people on Bird Forum because of your knowledge of optics. I highly value your reviews and your knowledge and Bird Forum would not be the same without you. Who else is going to disassemble binoculars and analyze how a prism works? Nobody! I just feel these new CL's are an excellent binocular for the money and people should give them a try before disregarding them. They may not be the best binocular out there but they are an excellent buy for the money in a compact binocular. You can't ignore me because my threads always grab your interest in some way even if it's to tell me I'm wrong!

Last edited:
Dennis,
From many years prior to WW II and well after it the 30mm objective was the standard of the binocular industry. Millions and millions were made for the world's armies. Lives depended on 6 x 30 porro prism binoculars. Officers and the Navies got larger ones.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Old French Proverb.

Bob

That's a very interesting historical point. I can really see the advantages of an 8x30. They can be made much smaller than an 8x32 and they work much better than an 8x25. Best compromise of size.

:D

Not really bad Henry. Basically he thinks that your methods aren't any better than anyone else that decides to post a review of optics.

I, for another one, definitley appreciate your contributions. It always proves a nice counterpoint to the rest of us that tend to rely more on personal impressions rather than measurable data.

I do find one thing particularly amusing. It seems Dennis and I take turns with threads that spur "discussion". Either he is touting whatever new bin he has as the best out there or I am involved in some discussion on the quality of Chinese optics.

;)

Is there quality in Chinese optics?

If that was a smart-alleck comment then my response would be "Are non-Chinese optics overpriced?"

;)

If it wasn't then I am going to just shake my head and wonder what goes through your head sometimes.

Last edited:
That's a very interesting historical point. I can really see the advantages of an 8x30. They can be made much smaller than an 8x32 and they work much better than an 8x25. Best compromise of size.

One might take that a step further and consider an 8x28 and even further compromise with that line of thinking. I wonder why more 8x28s aren't out there.

Thought I would add an historical footnote to this thread.

There was, long ago, another Swarovski 8x30 with basic specs very similar to the CL. It was the 8x30 "normal field" Habicht Porro. I still have a pair I bought about 1987. It weighs 500 grams and has a 7 degree field. The CL weighs 500 grams and has a 7.1 degree field. The normal field Habicht used the same objective lens and prism housing as the current 8x30 W Habicht Porro, but substituted a simpler eyepiece with a narrower field and at the time cost about $50 less.

Henry,

Very interesting. The 8x30W Habicht Porro weighs 540 grams and has a 7.8 deg. field, with a 60 deg. apparent field. I wonder if they both have the same 12mm ER.

So, the company may have taken a play from their old play book. Let's see if the CL eyepiece also turns out to be simpler.

Ed
PS. I've also established an Ignore List with the same membership.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back