• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly (1 Viewer)

Jasonbirder

Jason-occasional-twitcher
Scilly this month

Just a thought as this years Scilly (or should that be silly) Season arrives, who from here is going this month?

Also as an aside, any predictions for the best birds? Irelands recent Common Yellowthroat & Northern Parula must a have got people thinking about American Passerines and I can certainly say any New World Warblers would be warmly received by me!!!

The Scilly season is already well under way, with the bulk of birders already on there. As for what might turn. Well that's anyones guess. There's very little there at the moment, though an American Golden Plover, on Agnes, today is new in. The weather for the next few days looks grim with gale force winds (not your ideal passerine hunting conditions). However who knows what might get found after the storms.

Mark

Surely its still a bit early for the best birds:- We went too early last year and missed out on Isabelline Shrike, Black-throated Thrush & Killdeer to name a few...if anything the "season" seems to be getting later and later each year!

It depends on what you class as the best birds. Most people go to Scilly with the hope of seeing Yanks, particularly passerines. Late September/ 1st wk in October are probably the best times to see Yank Warblers (the only Magnolia Warbler was in September). Red-eyed Vireos can turn up from mid September to late October. The Yellow-throated Vireo (in Cornwall) turned up in late September, the Philadelphia V' turned up on the 10th of October. The 10th of October is apparently the ultimate day for rare birds turning up. Definitely a day to book off and have the car filled up with petrol. Traditionally the late birds tend to be things like grey-cheeked thrush, Chimney Swift, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Killdeer. An excellent book to buy/borrow is Poysers rare birds day by day. It gives a wonderful insight in to what did and can turn up at all times of the year. The only trend that seems to be re-occuring in recent years is that the majority of Yanks seem to turn up in Eire, Iceland and the Scottish Isles. Which if you look at what's happened so far, this autumn, appears to be happening again. But the trouble with Scilly is that you never really know what will turn up.

Mark

seem to remeber late Sept as best for Yanks as Mark says - does everyone go second two weeks in Oct now? There may be a few major prizes for those brave enough to go mid to late Sept, and fewer birders too!

I think that they still go the first two weeks and that the third week is still classed as 'teachers week' (half term hols).

Mark

The weather seems to have livened up recently (I've just got home from night-shift and it's been blowing all night) so this might stir the birds up a bit!

I don't know what it's like down the S.W. but I think this latest blow is just a bit too much from the N.W. to be absolutely ideal - but you never know!

If the forecasters have got it right (ha, ha!) then Thursday's weather could do the trick.

As for predictions - well it's playing safe but if there are any 'Yanks' blown in then Red-eyed Vireo, Swainson's Thrush and R.B. Grosbeak must be amongst the favourites.

I should think a Black-billed Cuckoo might prove popular as well.

And any species of Tanager on the Mainland could cause a mass exodus from the 'Magic Isles'! I just hope that it's close enough for me to twitch!

Adey

I'm heading down to Penzance tomorrow morning early with five others, ready for the boat Sat morning. It'll be my fourth visit since my first in '95. That was actually my best year, I got a couple of Red-eyed Vireo's, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Northern Parula, Ortolan, and Red-throated and Richards Pipit. My last two visits were a bit quieter.
I just enjoy getting a full weeks birding in and having a few beers at night..........it certainly beats working !!!!!
I really would like to see one of the American Cuckoo's or Thrushes, so fingers crossed. I will be hopefully getting loads of photo's and will post the best.

Not sure that too many of us down here are looking for Yank passerines - at the moment!! The lows all seem to be tracking too far to the North to be of much use in Scilly/Cornwall. That's why Edward in Iceland is having such a great time. Early predictions for next week show a Southerly and then an Easterly wind, so time to get out and look for Radde's and Dusky Warblers. If you want to get a bit more adventerous, how about a Pechora or a Bluetail - Eyebrowed Thrush hasn't turned up on Scilly since '93 so another is due.

Darrell

Hi Mark,
"The only trend that seems to be re-occuring in recent years is that the majority of Yanks seem to turn up in Eire, Iceland and the Scottish Isles."
Would that that were true!Iceland and the Scottish Isles,yes,but Ireland has had far fewer Yanks since the '80's.Yes,we have had Yanks in every autumn since 1998(with the one exception of last year),but very few in a given year(certainly have never seen more than 2 Yanks in a given year myself).
Going to Cape Clear for the weekend:a "birder's weekend" was arranged in an attempt to recreate the spirit of the old days,when the island was full of birders during October.
Unfortunately for me,a Blue-winged Teal would have to choose TODAY to be found in Co.Galway....
Will go to Cape as planned:if I miss a BW Teal,there'll be another;if I go for that,what might I miss on Cape...?;-)
Harry H

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately for me,a Blue-winged Teal would have to choose TODAY to be found in Co.Galway....
Will go to Cape as planned:if I miss a BW Teal,there'll be another;if I go for that,what might I miss on Cape...?;-)
Harry H

I think Bobolink is the answer to that one Harry.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Went to Cape,still missed Bobolink....:-(
Also missed a poss.Grey-cheeked Thrush reported there yesterday!
Today there had been an influx of birds,incl.Yellow-browed,Black Reds etc,and 20 mins before the ferry left I got news of a Pallas' Warbler,which would have been a lifer for me!
Luckily,this bird wasn't too far away,so I ran there,had good but necessarily brief views(about 2-3 mins,maybe a little more),then had to run off again to get the ferry!
Nice to get a tick after all....
Harry H

Hi all,
Andrew:was tempted to stay last night,but had a)no place booked to stay and b)no money left with me on the island!
Mark:the Bobolink was very confiding,but flew off(low over the ground,was thought not to have left,but may have)10 minutes before we got there,and we couldn't relocate it.Also flogged the area on Saturday morning,despite being out until 4am!
Harry H

Hi all,

I went to the Scillies for the first week of October this year and can report back that it was crap! I have never been before as I didn't like the idea of having to queue to see birds and the expense. I went this year because a trip to China was cancelled earlier this year and I found myself with a weeks holiday to spare.
What a waste of money it turned out to be!
However the Scillies are a nice place to visit and now I've seen what all the fuss is about, BUT I doubt very much if I'll ever waste my time doing them again

Mark

Mark, I went in the first weeks of September and whilst the birds were not 'WOW' for a hardened birder I really enjoyed my first visit to the Scillies. The folk were nice and the islands have an addictive charm. Admittedly some things are expensive but that is island life and can't be avoided. It is a shame you did not enjoy it maybe you should have gone just out of the main birding season for your first holiday?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back