• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera fell off (1 Viewer)

katholdbird

Hi All I carry my 500 lens on a strap that goes over my shoulder camera attached. I was walking to a hide today when my camera fell off the lens. I know a couple off friends this has happened to but when we discuss the subject we think that you must have caught the button on the camera thus the reason it came off. But today there is no doubt in my mind that this is not the case. as I always hold the lens foot to steady the lens. Has this happened to anyone else? or can anyone think of an explanation, this incident has left me quite shaken I was lucky as the camera fell into a load of mud so no damage. Cheers Kath

I had this happen but it was with a 1.4tc it had not locked to the camera, it was a lose screw on the tc that had caused it .

as luck would have it i had hold of the lens 500f4isL as it came undone but it was quite a shock.
Rob.

Last edited:
I think that the root of your problem is a sticking or maybe even bent lens locking pin. It is something that has given me problems on various crop bodies in the past. My current 7D body has been in for repair twice. It’s a weak point that seems to fail easily if the camera with a big lens fitted gets a knock. The release buttons on converters are also prone to sticking after several years use.
David

I've had exactly the same as GYRob.
There are four rather small posidrive type screws on the convertor/white lens. If any one of these works loose, it will prevent the locking mechanism from engaging.
Try and twist the camera off the lens after it's been coupled, it's a worthwhile exercise.
Mike.

Thanks for all the comments I do make sure the camera is locked on it just seems to work loose I will check the locking pin it is very alarming

I've had a similar problem with my 7D and a 1.4 converter which has come apart on several occasions even though it appears to be locked ok. I've always assumed that I had some how rubbed or knocked the release button with my hand or lens strap. I use a shoulder strap connected to my lens ( 300 2.8) and now make sure the camera strap is connected to the lens strap so that if they come apart the camera does not hit the floor or worse.

My 1.4x tc came adrift yesterday and not for the first time either.Must check those pins,it hasn't happened while using my newer mk3 version so it might be an ageing process that happens after prolonged use,there again might be the supposed improvement on the mk3 as otherwise I haven't noticed any difference between versions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back