• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

reporting possibles (1 Viewer)

jape

i am 99% convinced i saw an arctic redpoll in lymm a couple of weeks back.
i am new to this so didnt fuss as i am not a box ticker anyway, just mentioned it in my thread 'daily delight in lymm'
i dont have a camera and by the times i put down the binos it had flown
it was only 7 metres away
i saw it again, close to same spot later that day or next i cannot remember, not since

i did mention it to a friend

then asked about it yesterday, not conclusive

but today i see it is a 'rare bird report'

should i have said something more? notified someone? or do you need photos and witnesses? i am sure there are mistaken IDs but would you rather have them or nothing?

i wouldnt want to set hordes of birders off on trips but now i have looked at the rare bird site gallery i am, as i said, 99% sure. i dont really care about others approbation or opinions on sightings but i do wonder about the 'rules' if they exist

Redpolls are a tricky group and even experienced observers would be cautious with a claim of Arctic unless it is a very clear, big white one!

A

yup, as i said, im not interested in claiming anything, i am just reporting my interest and enjoyment. i spend 12 hrs a day seated at french doors and glance up at any movement.

i saw it from an upward angle but enough of back of wings to remark it was still black and white, no brown at all. and at 7 metres i looked through binos. it had no colour cast, yellow or buff or brown.i did not see the top of its head either time and each visit was brief as it stopped and inspected the table perhaps.

i reported that on the day in my thread but as i am new had no idea of rarity. my question is i suppose would serious birders want such as a report of a possible. just trying to help.

yup, as i said, im not interested in claiming anything, i am just reporting my interest and enjoyment. i spend 12 hrs a day seated at french doors and glance up at any movement.

i saw it from an upward angle but enough of back of wings to remark it was still black and white, no brown at all. and at 7 metres i looked through binos. it had no colour cast, yellow or buff or brown.i did not see the top of its head either time and each visit was brief as it stopped and inspected the table perhaps.

i reported that on the day in my thread but as i am new had no idea of rarity. my question is i suppose would serious birders want such as a report of a possible. just trying to help.

I'll be brutally honest, your lack of experience would probably see the claim dismissed though sometimes, it does happen with the more obvious and easy ID's.

You could always contact your local bird group if you see it again and try and get someone else to check it out.

A

i only have one chair! i will look at the other forum areas and see who is around. a camera is on my list but will have to wait a bit, need another chair first if i am going to invite humans around.
thank you andya

hmm, i dont know if i am mudlands or nw england.

Last edited:
I'll be brutally honest, your lack of experience would probably see the claim dismissed though sometimes, it does happen with the more obvious and easy ID's.
A

To be brutally honest Andy (pers.exp.) I've got plenty of the latter plus a list of "accepts" as long as your arm, and yet every single submitted sole observer record bar one, has been rejected! The notion that you should seek rubber stamp approval by a group of individuals that weren't there, should be of no consideration when the adjudication process, involves personalities with an axe to grind! and by christ it's riddled with them!

My advice to any "sole" observer is to take note from what your eyes record, at day end you know what you saw, cross check with any common confusion species, and if you're certain...go ahead and submit to the relevant body, however without an image or third party involvement, you might just find the going difficult.

At day end, one can more brutal with one's own record (as one should) than any anonymous arbiters, thus any doubts...leave it out!

To be brutally honest Andy (pers.exp.) I've got plenty of the latter plus a list of "accepts" as long as your arm, and yet every single submitted sole observer record bar one, has been rejected! The notion that you should seek rubber stamp approval by a group of individuals that weren't there, should be of no consideration when the adjudication process, involves personalities with an axe to grind! and by christ it's riddled with them!

My advice to any "sole" observer is to take note from what your eyes record, at day end you know what you saw, cross check with any common confusion species, and if you're certain...go ahead and submit to the relevant body, however without an image or third party involvement, you might just find the going difficult.

At day end, one can more brutal with one's own record (as one should) than any anonymous arbiters, thus any doubts...leave it out!

If I was submitting a Puffin I might agree, but Redpolls, as I said are not an easy bird even for experienced observers plus they are not exactly ten a penny.

A

If I was submitting a Puffin I might agree, but Redpolls, as I said are not an easy bird even for experienced observers plus they are not exactly ten a penny.
A

yes but i cannot find any other bird that is similar!
my point is again, i dont care about claiming or records but would offer the possibility
certainly as i am never in the mood for being doubted, questioned yes, doubted no.

next time i shall post observation of for example the hawfinch i saw and the aarctic redpoll here as threads but would not post it to rarebirds. would not that be a better solution?

Hawfinch is not really an ID challenge on a par with Redpolls, you could probably post your casual sightings somewhere in the frorum e.g 'birds and birding' but this is specifically an ID section, preferably aided by pictures.

A

i just now looked through nw england subforum, found cheshire subsubforum and right at bottom is a thread of arctic redpoll in area! shows they do get this way, and no i hadnt seen that before, i thought i was in the midlands, one of the circles of hell anyway. sizewise i would say mine was similar too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back