• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada emblem? (1 Viewer)

Gaga

Time to start another thread? I would like to know, do we have a bird emblem of Canada? I think that each province has one (snowy owl for québec, chickadee for new brunswick, etc.).

I we do not have one for Canada, what would be your suggestion?

Hi Gaga,

Found this on a website:

-----------------

CANADA

Canada's national bird is the Common Loon.

The bird symbols of Canada's provinces and territories are:
  • Alberta - Great Horned Owl
  • British Columbia - Steller's Jay
  • Manitoba - Great Gray Owl
  • New Brunswick - Black-capped Chickadee
  • Newfoundland - Atlantic Puffin
  • Northwest Territories - Gyrfalcon
  • Nova Scotia - Osprey
  • Nunavut - none yet
  • Ontario - Common Loon
  • Prince Edward Island - Blue Jay
  • Quebec - Snowy Owl
  • Saskatchewan - Sharp-tailed Grouse
  • Yukon - Common Raven
-----------------

Michael

Oh, that's why the loonies!!! Exactly Charles, shame on me... LOL

I was searching that information today, thanks guys! On Michael's list, I notice that Nunavut still don't have a "territorial bird"... any suggestions from nunavuters?

Gaga said:
Oh, that's why the loonies!!! Exactly Charles, shame on me... LOL

I was searching that information today, thanks guys! On Michael's list, I notice that Nunavut still don't have a "territorial bird"... any suggestions from nunavuters?

Maybe the penguin?? ;)

Carson said:
I think they'd want nunavut. ;-)
Groan!!!!! (Actually I thought that pretty good).

My son goes to Iqaluit a couple of times a year. I'll ask him if he's heard any proposals. I would guess that the Common Raven might work.

And what about Nunavut stealing Gyrfalcon to NWT? That provincial bird was chosen before those two territories were divided. Gyrfalcon are much more common in Nunavut than in NWT...

By the way, Common Raven is already taken by Yukon!

Gaga said:
And what about Nunavut stealing Gyrfalcon to NWT? That provincial bird was chosen before those two territories were divided. Gyrfalcon are much more common in Nunavut than in NWT...

By the way, Common Raven is already taken by Yukon!
Ok, here's what we will do! We'll move the Raven from the Yukon to Nunavit. I think this is appropriate because of the spiritual link between the First Nations and the Raven and Nunavit is so strongly native. We'll leave the Gyrfalcon inNWT and give the Yukon the Ptamigan. ;) Now, if only someone would listen! :bounce: I bet we could solve all the UN's problems too!

snowyowl said:
Ok, here's what we will do! We'll move the Raven from the Yukon to Nunavit. I think this is appropriate because of the spiritual link between the First Nations and the Raven and Nunavit is so strongly native. We'll leave the Gyrfalcon inNWT and give the Yukon the Ptamigan. ;) Now, if only someone would listen! :bounce: I bet we could solve all the UN's problems too!
Odin wouldn't agree to that - his Ravens get everywhere and see everything but they remain strictly faithful to Odin ;)

Michael the Viking

I'm glad BC has the Steller's Jay. I'm totally happy with that choice. Apparently our dogwood is not so good, though--it's the northern extreme, so I understand, of a California group; and it doesn't survive throughout the colder BC interior.

Alberta's beautiful wild rose was selected by schoolchildren--a great idea. The species they chose is actually the thorniest of their wild roses, but, well, that's okay.... ;-)

BTW, the word "loon" relates to the word "lummox," which, I believe, is Scandinavian. Because loons are very awkward on land, the connection is made. (Gets a bit scrambled later on, because we also have "lunatic" in reference to being under the influence of Luna, the Moon.) Loons are such wonderful creatures, I'm glad Canada wasn't too stodgy to choose a loonie symbol.

Last edited:
Carson said:
I'm glad BC has the Steller's Jay. I'm totally happy with that choice. Apparently our dogwood is not so good, though--it's the northern extreme, so I understand, of a California group; and it doesn't survive throughout the colder BC interior.

Alberta's beautiful wild rose was selected by schoolchildren--a great idea. The species they chose is actually the thorniest of their wild roses, but, well, that's okay.... ;-)

PEI has the Blue Jay. I think that the Black-capped Chickadee would have been a much better bird to choose but nobody asked me. ;)

Michael Frankis said:
Odin wouldn't agree to that - his Ravens get everywhere and see everything but they remain strictly faithful to Odin ;)

Michael the Viking
Since the Vikings were the third group to reach North America perhaps Odin would lend us his bird?

Carson said:
BTW, the word "loon" relates to the word "lummox," which, I believe, is Scandinavian. Because loons are very awkward on land, the connection is made. (Gets a bit scrambled later on, because we also have "lunatic" in reference to being under the influence of Luna, the Moon.) Loons are such wonderful creatures, I'm glad Canada wasn't too stodgy to choose a loonie symbol.
Sorry, nope - it's from Old Norse Lómr, wailing, from the song (of Red-throated Diver/Loon)

Michael

snowyowl said:
PEI has the Blue Jay. I think that the Black-capped Chickadee would have been a much better bird to choose but nobody asked me. ;)

That's because that's our provincial bird here in New Brunswick! ;)

Gaga said:
That's because that's our provincial bird here in New Brunswick! ;)
But you should have the Gray Jay! All kidding aside, to me the Blue jay simply doesn't fit the Island. With our tiny size, I think that if not the Chickadee some other small bird, perhaps the Red-breasted Nuthatch, would have been much more suitable. Of course, it would be possible to go to the other extreme and have the Great Blue Heron. It's easy to see concentrations of 50 - 100 feeding together in Summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back