• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queen wasp? (1 Viewer)

Carless

A large and heavy-set looking wasp came into our house a few minutes ago. Could it be a queen looking for a place to hibernate?

I tried to take a photo, but discovered that my partner had been taking photos @ 640x480 for some reason, so you can hardly see the insect unfortunately. I didn't bother zooming in on it, assuming that the high resolution would do the job.

f02lwn.jpg

The abdomen in particular looked an unusual shape, larger and more tapering than a normal wasp.

A large and heavy-set looking wasp came into our house a few minutes ago. Could it be a queen looking for a place to hibernate?

I tried to take a photo, but discovered that my partner had been taking photos @ 640x480 for some reason, so you can hardly see the insect unfortunately. I didn't bother zooming in on it, assuming that the high resolution would do the job.

f02lwn.jpg

The abdomen in particular looked an unusual shape, larger and more tapering than a normal wasp.

Hello Carless,

Or should that be Careless for not checking your camera settings? lol.

Your wasp certainly appeares to be one of the Social Wasps, (Vespula). At this time of year most colonies are dying out or are already dead. It's not possible to say whether your specimen in definately a Queen, there is a possibility that it is a late emerging Male, they tend to be slimmer than the Queens or Workers and, not being active in colony developement, tend to live for a fair time just feeding and 'bonking' any queens they happen across.

Sorry, can't be more helpful that that.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back