• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips needed for a macro novice (1 Viewer)

gordthelord

Hi everyone, I've just taken delivery of a sigma 150mm f2.8 macro lens for my canon 400D. I've only tried it out for about an hour and got some ok shots. Can anyone recommend what sorts of settings I should use or even point me in the direction of good reference book. I notice that if I go from photographing something close up to something a bit more distant the lens can hunt a little. Is this normal? Should I turn the camera off before changing the focussing range?
I've tried to include a couple of early efforts. As I said earlier, any tips or advice will be greatly received.
Thanks, Gordon.

Attachments

• IMG_4738_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4738_edited-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4760_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4760_edited-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 168
Gordon, I would use manual focus for macro as the lens can often be confused by items at different distances if left on automatic. You may well have to stop the lens down to gain sufficient depth of field. My bee, which you commented on recently, needed f/16 to get most of it in focus.

David

I have this lens. It is terrific but will hunt in low light where you have limited contrast between background and the subject. Stopping down will improve your depth of field, but you'll need a tripod or monopod to stabilize the lens or you'll get camera shake in all but the brightest of days.

A way around this is to use the flash. Pop it up and set the camera on manual with a Av of say 11 or so and a shutter speed of 200-250. This will help in low light. The flash works better with an external unit and a diffuser, but you can get quite good results from the camera's flash (no diffuser).

Best of luck and enjoy the lens.

Regards
Jon

Hi everyone, I've just taken delivery of a sigma 150mm f2.8 macro lens for my canon 400D. I've only tried it out for about an hour and got some ok shots. Can anyone recommend what sorts of settings I should use or even point me in the direction of good reference book. I notice that if I go from photographing something close up to something a bit more distant the lens can hunt a little. Is this normal? Should I turn the camera off before changing the focussing range?
I've tried to include a couple of early efforts. As I said earlier, any tips or advice will be greatly received.
Thanks, Gordon.
Manual focus is the way to go and get yourself a good solid tripod + remote (cannot go wrong with Benbo Trekkers for macro tripods) i also use a ring flash for insects when i'm out in the woods
Cheers and have fun with the Sigma they are great lenses (i have one too)
Brian

Thanks for the tips gents, I have just ordered a manfrotto monopod and head specifically for field macro work. I do have a tripod I can use too but alot of the time I want to travel lighter and I hope this monopod can give me a bit more additional stability.

By the way can anyone help me identify the second beastie in my original post. I can't find it anywhere in my collins guide.
Cheers,
Gordon.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back