• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sugar or Nectar? (1 Viewer)

Miamiflash

Here's a question (or maybe I should post it in the "hummingbirds" section?):

Which is better: sugar water? or the instant nectar?

Not that I'll see any hummingbirds again until October, but I've been buying the powdered instant nectar that you mix only as much as you need for your feeders at any one time. The hummers seem to like it, and I was under the impression that it is nutritionally better than sugar water. Since my feeders are placed among flower nectar sources, I was wondering if I should just save my money and put out sugar water instead.

Opinions?

Miamiflash said:
Here's a question (or maybe I should post it in the "hummingbirds" section?):

Which is better: sugar water? or the instant nectar?

Not that I'll see any hummingbirds again until October, but I've been buying the powdered instant nectar that you mix only as much as you need for your feeders at any one time. The hummers seem to like it, and I was under the impression that it is nutritionally better than sugar water. Since my feeders are placed among flower nectar sources, I was wondering if I should just save my money and put out sugar water instead.

Opinions?
Hi: I've been using 4 to 1 water/sugar for 50 years and haven't had one complaint to date. ;)

Craig

The 4 parts water to one part sugar is the prescribed recipe with no food coloring at all. The hummers don't need it to be attracted to the feeder and it is healthier for them with just the plain sugar and water.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back