• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulf of Mexico - Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I had a hummingbird landing outside my window and I went out to have a look. The bird looked exhausted and I took it in my hand and I brought it inside.

I mixed sugar and water in a Nutella lid to see if it wanted to eat. But the bird looked like it wanted to get out flying to the window. So I brought my breakfast outside and it was not interested. I tried to get it to eat but no interest.

I really don�t know how to feed them, but I have a couple of water stations with crushed biscuits (The only thing I have to offer) and I hope some birds can get energy to get ashore.

I wanted to feed the falcon as well, but I really have no idea on how to feed them.

The bird took of flying towards Texas, 250 km away and I really hope the bird reach the safety ashore.

The bird, I checked my Birds of the West Indies and if it is a female most of them look the same. But I discovered something looking like orange in the plumage and I was thinking molting male.

Then I can only find one bird that fits my pictures if I imagine the bird in breeding plumage, the Bee Hummingbird. It was a very small hummingbird. Any thoughts about my ID?

The sound recording, we hear sound and wing flaps when the bird is inside leaving my sugar water. I take out the sugar water and when I get back in to get the bird it make some sounds, heard after the silence in the recording.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 330.jpg
    330.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 328.jpg
    328.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Hummingbird.mp3
    219.7 KB
Your photo 328, along with the sound recording put me in mind of a Costa's Hummingbird. Don't know where you are, so that could be way off. And, I'm not sure which photo is the accurate color.

Your photo 328, along with the sound recording put me in mind of a Costa's Hummingbird. Don't know where you are, so that could be way off. And, I'm not sure which photo is the accurate color.
Thank you very much!

I am about 250 km east of Padre Island, Texas.

In my bock the Peurto Rican Emerald have grey instead of white tail feathers. But the book could have been better.

Thsnk you again, appreciated. Yet another new bird for me. I hope she makes it back to shore.

Kind regards
Aladdin

I don't know much about hummingbird migration patterns over the Gulf (does anyone?), but that location takes your bird out of the 'usual/known' migration range. I suggested Costa's because of the short tail, back and head coloration, and bill shape/length. But, the face pattern isn't quite right. I can't call it a Costa's for sure. You're in an area with too many vagrant migrant possibilities.

I don't know much about hummingbird migration patterns over the Gulf (does anyone?), but that location takes your bird out of the 'usual/known' migration range. I suggested Costa's because of the short tail, back and head coloration, and bill shape/length. But, the face pattern isn't quite right. I can't call it a Costa's for sure. You're in an area with too many vagrant migrant possibilities.
Thanks again Ruff-leg!

Yes, we are a bit off shore but here is many birds. Many warblets etc but i cannot id them.

The colour is hard on pictures, but ascyou said, 328 is the most natural colours.

Kind regards
Aladdin

From the photo and sound recording, I think everything fits Ruby-throated Hummingbird OK. This is by far the default hummingbird for a trans-Gulf hummer encounter.

Thank you birdmeister!

I have the Ruby-throated and the Bee are the only two with red in my book so my guess was because of the orange/ redish feathers as it looked like the bird was moulting.

I have reported the bird as a hummingbird s.p, in eBird but I will change it to a Ruby-throated.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back