• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest sell off petition (1 Viewer)

signed!

Then there was the flow country debacle[/QUOTE]

we are still working on habitat restoration in the flows trying to reverse the damage.

Dean.

That's the sad thing...the lack of surprise.

It wouldn't be such an issue if it was just mono-culture sitka spruce plantations on the hit list.

It wouldn't be such an issue if it was just mono-culture sitka spruce plantations on the hit list.

It might be just that though, specific details of which plots would be up for sale haven't been released yet.

Even if that was the case we would still lose the FC's intention to gradually replace those monocultures with native woodland. Plus plantation plots would have little chance of saviour should private developers get their hands on them.

Nice to see the signatures flying up in the last couple of days though.

Sorry but I can't agree it wouldn't be such an issue if it were just the mono-culture woods/forests. Yes perhaps from a wildlife point of view but those forests provide huge numbers of people with the chance to get out into the open air - walk the dog, mountain bike, orienteer etc. It is a massive problem even if it was just the mono-culture being sold.

Signed the petition afew weeks ago, but the latest request on the petition site is for people to email their local PM. There is a link on the site.

Whether we wish it so or not, I somehow think the selling of some forests will not, in the greater scheme of things, make or break this, or any, government.

We can not standby & let this or any government destroy our countryside plus its another nail in the coffin of the nasty party.B :)

Steve.

I signed this weeks ago but it's not enough. A petition is too easy to dismiss, and doesn't reflect the depth of feeling. Why is no-one organising a march? Or a mass trespass or camp on the first one they sell off?

Graham

Graham, www.saveourwoods.co.uk has info on local campaigns, I guess you could check there for anything near you. Not aware of anything yet on a larger scale. I agree with you though, signing a petition is so easy, it's just not enough.

I checked twitter late last night to realise it was being debated on Newsnight. Caroline Spelman and a few relevant people on 'our side' were there, apparently it was very good and Spelman failed miserable to justify the plans. Good to see the campaign getting such national attention. I'll be watching on iplayer later...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back