• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Climate Change or ?????? (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Hi all,

I found the attached Caterpillar on Sunday! I just went to take away a fallen seed head from our climbing Rose and this little beauty was attached to it. It measured between 1/2" and 3/4" and really took me my surprise.

I was shocked enough to see a Honey Bee in our garden last week, but now this one surprises me a great deal more. I've put it on the Butterfly/Moth board to try to find out what it is from and will put it on here if they can tell.

Keep a watch out all, you never know what you're going to find next!

Sue.

Attachments

• Caterpillar%20545.jpg
    Caterpillar%20545.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 81
Bonjour, dear Sue! :hi:

Aaah, what a cute little fella he is! Question is, are you going to FEED him, or are there enough green leaves around? And will you bring him indoors at night or provide him with a nice warm blanket??? :-O

Now that you've found him, he's your responsibility, poor little mite... :D

Strange goings-on in Brussels, too (no, not THAT kind... well, OK, yes THAT kind as well... lol !!!!): the odd Bumble Bee, Gnat... and even a MOSQUITO (and yes, she DID get me... oooh, it's no longer safe in WINTER now!!!)

Give my love to little Chris Caterpillar, and take care of 'im !!! ;)

Warmest wishes

Sue Wright said:
Hi all,

I found the attached Caterpillar on Sunday! I just went to take away a fallen seed head from our climbing Rose and this little beauty was attached to it. It measured between 1/2" and 3/4" and really took me my surprise.

I was shocked enough to see a Honey Bee in our garden last week, but now this one surprises me a great deal more. I've put it on the Butterfly/Moth board to try to find out what it is from and will put it on here if they can tell.

Keep a watch out all, you never know what you're going to find next!

Sue.

Hi Sue

I'm afraid I can't help you on the caterpillar but I'm sure someone on the Butterfly/Moth board will know the answer. Talk about climate change! I had a buff-tailed bumblebee going around the narcissus in my garden yesterday, last night a healthy looking hedgehog was foraging around the garden and my hebe is still flowering from last July!

Nerine

I'm not too keen on your news of a mosquito, Linda! If it's one thing I hate when in my French retreat during the summer, it's being bitten by mosquitoes. I spend the whole time being surrounded by citronella and lemongrass. Other times of year are blissfully free of them. So you can keep yours!

Renee Redstart said:
I'm not too keen on your news of a mosquito, Linda! If it's one thing I hate when in my French retreat during the summer, it's being bitten by mosquitoes. I spend the whole time being surrounded by citronella and lemongrass. Other times of year are blissfully free of them. So you can keep yours![/QUOTE

Hi Renée!!!

Well, you know I'm such a generous person, I'll gladly share my mozzies with you. If you give me your address, I'll send you a couple in the mail... :-O

Nice to know I'm not the only lady who is pestered by the darn things all summer long... 'orrible, aren't they? :C

Don't worry - I don't think my lone mozzie would have had the strength to fly across the Channel!!! (anyway, Ed squashed it, so it's history now!!!) (o)<

Last edited:
Hi Sue,

Now that's getting beyond a joke isn't it. I'm going to have to go out and have a good look around, see what's going on out there.

Bill.

Hi Sue and all,
Funny things are definitely occurring here too!!! Like being stung by nettles in my garden earlier!!!! Oooch!!!
Can't help with the make of caterpillar though???.....sorry! ;)
Best wishes,

Hi Sue,
That's interesting, I wonder what it could be?
Please keep us posted if you get any news Sue.
BW

Hi everyone,

I couldn't get on here for love nor money the night before last (Tues) but here I am with some knowledgeable info from the 'Butterflies and Moth' board now. The link below gives all you need to know about the one above "Rose Sawfly" as well as other Caterpillar to be found throughout the winter months!!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=791982#post791982

Bill - remember the ones we had here last summer? Larger ones of the one above obviously! I'm sure they were slightly different, but I can't find the bloomin' photos of those anywhere - YET!!!

Not seen you about for quite a while Nerine?? Climate change for all the unusual sightings surely!

Linda Can't find it since, so I can't feed him either. No doubt it's gone to find food, or warmth as it's quite cold down here. Trust you to attract Mozzies!!! We had a House Fly indoors last week!!!

Ruth That's twice this winter you've been stung - it likes the taste of you - or is a glutton for punishment! :'D Twasn't me that said that, the inner me thinking!

Take care all and thanks for the interest.

Sue.

Hi Sue thanks for the link....though I'd already been there and read up on your Sawfly......very interesting it was too,amazing just what is around isn't it?! :t: Whilst clearing away from my wildlife area I've seen allsorts of "things" swimming in my pond....some sort of larvae I think? probably Linda's mossie's!!! lol!!!

Sue Wright said:
Ruth That's twice this winter you've been stung - it likes the taste of you - or is a glutton for punishment! :'D Twasn't me that said that, the inner me thinking!
....yes I know!!!!! :-O The pain we go through for our wildlife eh? Still it'll all be worth it when I've a garden full of Butterflies for the summer!!!
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back