• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An alternative to Pico Bonito (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Just returned from 2 weeks birding in Honduras. Was a solo trip with a rental car but, despite warnings related to safety, no problems at all - BF member Tom Jenner had given me advice on travelling by myself and heeded all this - many thanks, Tom - was a great adventure. My belief is that Honduras is very under-birded and matches Costa Rica for birding but at half the price. Recently the birding guides there formed a consortium to promote birding in the country and hopefully this will produce results. Can really recommend it.

The primary reason for this message relates to Pico Bonito Lodge which, prior to my departure, I believed was the primary birding destination in Honduras. Having been there, my opinion is that it is VERY over-priced and not worth considering. Just down the road from the Lodge is a wonderful place, Rio Santiago Resort

http://riosantiagonatureresort.com/

where (1) the birding is better, (2) the cost is much cheaper, (3) food is great and (4) is run with a family atmosphere. All the guides I met agreed that this was the number 1 place to go and this must be agreed with by Pico Bonito Lodge as they send guided tours there to see birds not easily seen at the Lodge. Beware though that accommodation is limited so need to book in advance.

I hope this might be of use.

Cheers

John

P.S. If anyone wants info on where I went (Tela, Pico Bonito, La Ceiba, Olanchito and Lake Ojoya), let me know.

I'm glad you had such a good time John. Honduras is a fantastic place for birding and still has lots of opportunities for new discoveries. This sounds like an interesting new site. I hope to visit next time I am in Honduras. I have to say though, that I have had some great birding at Pico Bonito Lodge, with Lovely Cotinga nearly guaranteed and I've also seen Black-and-White Hawk-Eagle there!. Having said that, you could also get these on a day trip to The Lodge and save a lot of money on accommodation. For some, of course, the attraction of The Lodge is that it allows a birder a couple of nights of luxury on what is otherwise a slightly harder circuit than say Costa Rica.
I would like to hear more about your trip.

Tom

I'm glad you had such a good time John. Honduras is a fantastic place for birding and still has lots of opportunities for new discoveries. This sounds like an interesting new site. I hope to visit next time I am in Honduras. I have to say though, that I have had some great birding at Pico Bonito Lodge, with Lovely Cotinga nearly guaranteed and I've also seen Black-and-White Hawk-Eagle there!. Having said that, you could also get these on a day trip to The Lodge and save a lot of money on accommodation. For some, of course, the attraction of The Lodge is that it allows a birder a couple of nights of luxury on what is otherwise a slightly harder circuit than say Costa Rica.
I would like to hear more about your trip.

Tom

I'll write a short report, Tom, and post it on here - be a few days probably. Can also get Cotinga (from the restaurant) at Rio Santiago. I must admit, birding from the watchtower at sunrise at Pico Bonito is a wonderful experience - second morning there I had 5 male & 2 female Cotingas as well as close-ups of Toucan, Aracari, Tityra etc etc.

Cheers
John

Both places are great, Rio Santiago and Pico bonito are excellent for birding, and other wildlife. If you like macro photography both lodges have a light and spread , so that you can collect specimens , hundreds to pick from ! really weird ones too. For photographers, there is a lot of things to do near the area also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back