• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brisbane Metropolitan Area 2016 list (1 Viewer)

21st April, University of Queensland
175. Long-billed Corella (Brisbane tick)

Mount Coot-tha Forest
176. Rose Robin (lifer!)
177. Fan-tailed Cuckoo

It was nice to finally be able to do some birding today! It has been an extraordinarily hectic past couple of months, but I am starting to settle down now and I hope that will mean more opportunities to go birding!

22nd April, Mount Coot-tha Forest
178. Peregrine Falcon (Brisbane tick)

It was a great surprise to find one of these circling high over the forest!

25th April, Black Duck Hole
179. Cotton Pygmy Goose- lifer!
180. Plumed Whistling Duck (Brisbane tick)

30th April, Nudgee Beach
181. Caspian Tern

A very long overdue year tick, but still fantastic to see while having a very nice swim.

16th May, Priors Pocket, Moggill
185. Pink-eared Duck- third time lucky trying to get this bird here, and there were 28 this morning!
186. Common Starling

19th May, Gold Creek Reservoir
187. Azure Kingfisher (Brisbane tick)
188. Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

Last edited:
20th May, Kedron Brook Wetlands Reserve
189. Eastern Grass Owl- lifer!!

What an absolute beast, it even tried to land on my head! It took about seven attempts to get this one, so finally finding it was immensely satisfying.

21st May, Emerson Park, Kedron Brook
190. Lewin's Rail

Certainly long overdue, but always a fantastic bird to see.

29th May, Gold Creek Reservoir
191. Black-breasted Buttonquail- it was incredibly exciting to find at least four of this extremely rare and extremely skulking bird
192. Common Emerald Dove

17th June, Moorlands Park
193. Pacific Baza (Brisbane tick)

A great surprise to have one fly overhead in the city centre!

Last edited:
27th June, Enoggera Reservoir
194. White-eared Monarch- lifer
195. White-naped Honeyeater- lifer
196. Striated Thornbill- Brisbane tick

Bendacre
197. Nankeen Kestrel- Brisbane tick

Black Duck Hole
198. Forest Kingfisher- Brisbane tick

Dowse Lagoon
199. Black-necked Stork- Brisbane tick

A great day! I saw 117 species which was very pleasing, including some great surprise species.

30th June, Luggage Point, Pinkenba
200. Yellow-rumped Thornbill- an overdue tick from an Australian perspective, but a scarce bird in Brisbane
201. Pale-vented Bush-hen

It was an incredibly satisfying afternoon, with some free time I decided to investigate Luggage Point and completely unexpectedly came across two lifers that took me through 200!

Last edited:
1st July, Slaughter Falls, Mount Coot-tha
202. Powerful Owl

I feel like I'm on a roll right now! Sadly I couldn't find the Owlet-Nightjar that I could hear calling, but I have to leave something for another day!

Last edited:
3rd July, Kedron Brook Wetlands Reserve
203. Brown Falcon (Brisbane tick)

What a stunning bird!

12th September, Slaughter Falls, Mount Coot-tha
204. Square-tailed Kite (Brisbane tick)

What an amazingly long time between additions! I have sadly been very busy with university recently, but with a break coming up in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be able to get some more birding in soon!

21st September, Wallaroo Circuit, North Lakes
205. Black-backed Bittern- lifer!

A fantastic reward for a long stakeout this afternoon

25th September, Windsor
206. Pacific Koel

Finally! After hearing many around Brisbane during summer earlier in the year, the first of Spring this year began to call from our neighbour's garden and soon revealed itself, surprisingly the first I have seen this year!

1st October, Osprey House Environmental Centre
207. Black-tailed Godwit (surprisingly an Australia tick for me!)
208. Great Knot (Brisbane tick)
209. Red Knot (Brisbane tick)
210. Red-capped Plover (Brisbane tick)

It was nice to finally find a good number of waders present today. There are still plenty of wader species to find around Brisbane this year, so hopefully I'll have some more luck with the scarcer species next time!

23rd October, Tinchi Tamba Wetlands Reserve
211. Latham's Snipe

I finally found one of these! After countless hours searching for them earlier in the year, my first attempt this summer paid dividends. Also present were two Pectoral Sandpipers, taking my total up to 3 of them this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back