• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore east of Argentina - spinetail? (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
This bird turned up on a vessel several hundred km east of Argentina in November 2018, it lived onboard for at least a few days, eating insects that had also landed on the vessel. Very active, bouncing and jumping about....

It looks like a spinetail of some sort, but I thought these were not migratory....

Attachments

• 6Z7A7722_e.jpg
    6Z7A7722_e.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 6Z7A7726_e.jpg
    6Z7A7726_e.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 6Z7A7719_e.jpg
    6Z7A7719_e.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 6Z7A7704_e.jpg
    6Z7A7704_e.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 49
  • 6Z7A7713_e.jpg
    6Z7A7713_e.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 26
Looks something like juvenile azara's spinetail (whitish throat, Reddish wings and tail) but not sure what other possibilities there are. Nor how...

Thanks THE_FERN, I have the plates volume of Birds of Northern South America. The nearest i can get is Plain-crowned Spinetail but this doesn't seem to fit either - the images I have found so far have too much rust in the wing. This bird seems to have a rather limited amount of rufous / rust colour there.

Sharp-billed Canastero?
They are migratory (and I've found the chin patches on some of these ovenbirds are not nearly so visible in the field as they are in plates in guides!)

Worth reporting indeed. But where? Argentina?

I have A LOT of observations from this area (including three species of passerine). Obviously most are seabirds, and I identified the vast majority - still have some work to do with all the prions though:)

Worth reporting indeed. But where? Argentina?

I have A LOT of observations from this area (including three species of passerine). Obviously most are seabirds, and I identified the vast majority - still have some work to do with all the prions though:)

If if proves relevant/interesting enough you could write a short note for the journal Cotinga.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back