• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking advice for birding Anchorage, Seward, and Denali (1 Viewer)

wary_cassowary

Artist and Amateur Avian Aficionado
United States
Hello! My name is Kylee Wiseman and I am a student, artist, and bird-nerd from Oregon. My dad Sam and I will be traveling to Alaska from July 31 to August 9. Our plan is to rent a motorhome, begin in Anchorage, travel to Seward (for a pelagic trip to see puffin colonies), then up to Denali.

I am wondering if anyone here could give us advice on good birding spots at or en route to these places? I am especially interested in good sites to photograph birds (particularly eagles!). I am a wildlife artist specializing in painting birds, and I'm doing photography so I can get reference pictures to paint from. This year I bought a long lens, and I'm very excited that I finally have the equipment to get quality bird photos!

We’ll have one extra day at the end before we fly home; any recommendations for birding spots within a half-days drive from anywhere along that route?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge of your local patch. If anyone would be willing, we would love it if a local join us to lead us on a little birding expedition! Of course, we would expect to compensate you for your guiding services.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise! I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm hopeful that someday I can be as helpful as the veteran birders!

Kylee

I forgot to mention that I will be strictly following all public health guidelines, including wearing a mask and social distancing during all birding outings. I also will get a COVID test before leaving my state, and will only travel if I have a clean bill of health. Just wanted to clarify!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back