• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

350D sttings for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

mmdnje

Jose
This may be old news for 350D users. After several completely subjective tests I've settled on the following settings for 350D and canon 28mm lens (used with a pentax XW20 eyepiece and PF80A scope).
Av mode
lens set at infinity f/2.8
EXp usually @-0.3 depending on histogram. I tend to push it to the right.
Auto white balance
Metering: average
2sec mirror lock, unless speed >125
IR remote most of the time.
In camera sharpening to +1
In camera saturation to 0
In camera contrast to +1 ( i like contrasty images)
ISO: although the camera does great at ISO 800 in terms of noise control I have the impression that there is detail loss at high ISO. I think I like the pics better at ISO 100-200.
Here are a couple of examples using these settings.
i will greatley appreciate if canon users could coment on it. Jose

Attachments

• ROBIN32.jpg
    ROBIN32.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 147
  • ROBIN34.jpg
    ROBIN34.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Very nice results!
I have a couple of questions if I may:
1. Why did you use a 28mm lens and not a 50mm or similar?
2. If you set exposure to -0.3EV, the histogram is pushed to the left I guess, or am I missing something?
3. You use mirror lock at shutter speeds shorter than 1/125 sec. Is this enough?

Thanks

Hi Yossi. Thaks for the comments
Q: Why did you use a 28mm lens and not a 50mm or similar?
A: beacuse the magnification is too much for my like. besides I wnated to have a wider lens for general use.

Q: If you set exposure to -0.3EV, the histogram is pushed to the left I guess, or am I missing something?
A: yes you are correct. What i tried to say is that I push the histogram to the right as much as poss.

Q:You use mirror lock at shutter speeds shorter than 1/125 sec. Is this enough?
A: I use mirror lock unless speed is >1/125-250, HOwever most of my pictures are at much lower speeds, so I lock the mirror as my default.

Is 500-600mm focal length sufficient for you?
This can be achieved easily with a 400mm lens and a X1.4 TC.
I start bothering with digiscoping well over 1000mm (I have the 500mm AFS + TC20EII and the 1000/11 Nikkor reflex [mirror] lenses).
I shoot much faster with lenses than with telescopes.

According to my calculations I'm shooting ~1700-1800mm for digiscoping (using a X26 eyepiece). I'm waiting for the new crop of lenses to hit the market so I can get a decent ~400mm lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back