• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cedar waxwings, in Boca... (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

For me, a first-time sighting, as I've never managed to run into these guys before. I've actually hit a few spots the past month hoping to find them, btu they seemed to always be there in the morning and I didn't get there in time. I was starting to think I'd never see them.

So this Sunday, I was hanging out in my driveway chatting with a friend, had my NEX camera with me as I had been showing some shots...and I see small silhouettes of birds filling a neighbor's tree about 150 feet away. Too small for blue jays, too big for swallows. Just for the oddball chance I could ID them later, I snapped a single photo with a 210mm lens. I had essentially forgotten about it until yesterday, when I loaded the shots off the camera, and saw the one silhouette of a tree with what looked like lots of fruit on all the branches. Oh yeah, the unidentified birds!

So I zoomed way in, and they seemed to all have a weird crest coming off the backs of their heads, sort of like cardinals...but they didn't look like cardinal silhouettes. So I brightened the shot up significantly to see what was in the silhouettes, and there were the black banding around the eyes and what appeared to be yellow bellies. Sure enough, cedar waxwings! 25-35 of them, all filling a single tree. I wish I had known what they were when I took the shot, because they were less than 200 feet away - I could have walked right over and gotten closeups. Now I'm hoping they might return to that tree or a nearby one one of these late afternoons. This was at around 4pm - I'm not home until 6pm on weekdays, so now it's just waiting until the weekend.

It has been a really good year for them down here. I counted a flock of ~250 in a small local park just minutes from my house. There are flocks flying around my apartment complex every morning. It's great!

Enjoy them while you can as they will soon be gone, and there is no guarantee this irruptive species will be back next winter.

Carlos

Here in Gainesville the Cedar Waxwings have also been numerous this Spring, lots of flocks flying around town. The numbers seem to have diminished a bit in the last 10 days.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back