• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of a long shot... (1 Viewer)

Tim100

This sighting occurred years ago in summer, Northern Spain (Pyrenees). I was up the side of the mountain and caught sight of a massive bird behind a mountian but it flew out of sight.

Five minutes later it flew over the top of me! It had at least a 2 metre wing span.

My question is was it a golden eagle or a vulture?

I have no other information but I have read that golden eagles fly close to mountain edges. I remember it felt slightly scary seeing it because it was so massive.

Hi Tim
Unfortunately, i doubt anyone will be able to give any advice on the bird other than to say that you need to have a look in some fieldguides in the hope that something else might jog your memory.
Most big BOPs in that area have around a 2mtr wingspan and so do vultures. So take your pick.
I remember,when i was in the Pyrenees a few years ago, lammergeier being the most common big BOP. They, too, fly close to the mountains.
I know that this hasnt been of any help in the identification of your bird. But at least you have got a response.
Having said that,the best advice i can give you is to always make fields notes,(as detailed as possible)Then when your memory fails, they will be there to fall back on.

regards

Thanks for the informative response. I didn't think anyone would be able to tell from my very limited description but thought I'd give it a go. It wasn't the Lammergeier though as it was very dark brown all over.

It was an amazing sight whatever it was.

Thanks again.

Mine too, cause I saw lots of Griffon vultures in the Pyrenees; but also due to the fact that Golden Eagles always avoid me ... I just don´t know why but I never managed to see one ...sigh

Most likely a Griffon - on a recent trip to the Spanish Pyrenees we counted 120+ in the air at the same time on one day. They are by far the commonest large BOP here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back