• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2004 year list going? (1 Viewer)

gthang said:
Well, another good birding day, went to Lake Carmel again this week. Saw the usual winter waterbirds (Ruddy Duck, Mallard, Common Merganser, and a few gulls).

Saw a pair of nearly black female "mallards", one had a yellow bill, the other had a nearly black bill. I'm about 75% sure they are American Black Ducks. would like to hear from others though.

Also, another new lifer in the form of Hooded Mergansers. There was a family of at least 5 males and a couple of females.

Pictures below are of the "mallards" and hooded mergansers.

This leaves me with, 104 lifers, of those, 93 confirmed; 4 for December, and 89 total year birds.

Looks like a male and a female A. Black Duck.
Good pictures of the Hoodies.
May I ask a question? I'm going to anyway. Do you carry a field guide and binos when you go birding? It often sounds as though you don't and I believe that if you ever want to start to sort out some of what you see you definitely need both tools.

Snowyowl, it depends on how busy i am. If I'm not that busy at work, I may take a little extra time off lunch to go home and get my birding equipment (books, bins, camera, etc.), and when I finally do get off work, I may take some time and look for anything that flies.

Sometimes, like this past week, I automatically knew what my new lifers were, since I've been looking at the Sibley book and remember the more vibrant birds and their features... or maybe those were just lucky guesses! ;) :brains:

Yesterday evening I finally got a pair of Burrowing Owls I've been looking for ever since my wife first saw them in the golf course next door three weeks ago. Then today found Orinocan Saltator and Trinidad Euphonia, all three lifers, and bringing me to 489 for the year.

Today was holiday bird count day here in Kirksville. I saw 35 species, with one lifer/new species for the year.

222 - Purple Finch

o:) I recently had a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow for my 258th year bird for Florida; 71 species have been in my yard including 14 of the 29 species of wood-warbler I have seen this year in the "Sunshine State". o:)

OK... been a lo-o-o-ng time since I added to this, so I hope I'm bringing everything up to date successfully.

August brought me just a couple of additions, one of which doesn't really count but is mildly notable...

(-) - Black Swan
149 - Little Egret

September provided the following...

(54)- White Wagtail
150 - Black Redstart
151 - Nutcracker
152 - Wheatear
153 - Hoopoe
154 - Black Tern
155 - Yellow-legged Gull
156 - Red-backed Shrike
157 - Snipe
158 - Whinchat
159 - Ring Ouzel
160 - Crested Tit
161 - Firecrest
162 - Black Woodpecker

All of September's additions were from my trip to Slovenia, whilst neither October nor November brought me anything new.

For Charles' yearly records elsewhere, this (I hope) is now accurate.

All 162 (J71,F10,M30,A8,M12,J8,J9,A1,S13,O0,N0)
UK 149 (J71,F10,M30,A8,M12,J8,J9,A1,S0,O0,N0)

Did a quick spin through Northern Vietnam, and saw some really good birds (* is a lifer):

233. Black-faced Spoonbill (yessssss!!!!)
234. Greylag Goose
235. Common Teal
236. Eastern Marsh-Harrier
237. Pied Harrier
238. Black Eagle
239. Slaty-breasted Rail*
240. Grey Plover
241. Black-tailed Godwit
242. Eurasian Curlew
243. Spotted Redshank
244. Marsh Sandpiper
245. Common Greenshank
246. Broad-billed Sandpiper
247. Black-headed Gull
248. Pied Kingfisher
249. Revented Barbet*
250. Rufous Woodpecker*
251. Silver-breasted broadbill
252. Blue-rumped Pitta*
253. Bar-bellied Pitta* (heard only)
254. Grey-eyed Bulbul
255. Rufous-tailed Robin*
256. White-tailed Robin*
257. Common Stonechat
258. Japanese Thrush*
259. Eurasian Blackbird
260. Stub-tailed Bush-warbler
261. Zitting Cisticola
262. Grey-breasted Prinia
263. Yellow-browed Warbler
264. Grey-crowned Warbler
265. Blue-and-white Flycatcher
266. Grey-headed Canary-Flycatcher
267. Rufous-crowned Babbler
268. Limestone Wren-Babbler
269. Rufous-capped Babbler
270. White-necked Babbler*
271. Rufous-throated Fulvetta*
272. Black-browed Fulvetta*
273. Crimson Sunbird
274. Brown Shrike
275. Bronzed Drongo
276. Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo
277. White-winged Magpie*
278. White-shouldered Starling

So far (as of December 13), I'm up to 217 for my United States/ABA Area list. Not great, but I've only birded in Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee, and Alabama. My Indiana year list is at 209. Just added Ruddy Duck yesterday.

Lifers for 2004 include: Cackling Goose (due to a recent split from Canada Goose), Yellow Rail, Slaty-backed Gull, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and Kentucky Warbler.

Dave

One more fine bird from up north during another cracking session with James . .

(2)274 - Richard's Pipit (L)

Also added Pale-bellied Brent Goose to my subspecies list.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back