• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information for some Spanish birds needed (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Hello folks,
currently I am in Granada until February and of course want to spend some time searching for lifers. But the availability of information here seems rather limited, so maybe you can give me some tips.
Any information, even if just for a single species would be gladly appreciated
I am searching especially for the following:
White-headed Duck: Is there any reliable site nearby?
Sandgrouses: Same question
Red-necked Nightjar: Is it still possible to find them and see/hear it well enough to be sure it is said species?
White-rumped Swift: Are they still around this time of year? Is it worth giving it a try around the tunel de Cerro Gordo
What species of pelagic birds can be expected at Montril Port? Or any other birdwatching point near Granada
Squacco Heron: Still need that one, quite a shame. However, are they still around? Where are the best sites?
Marsh Sandpiper: Any reliable sites known?
Collared Pratincole: I fear they're already gone, or are they?
Black-winged Kite: Where should I look?
Egyptian Vulture: I read quite a lot of reports, stating they're migrating, but is there a site near Granada worth the try?
Spanish Imperial Eagle: Any reliable site nearby? I also read there's an immature in the Sierra Nevada right now. Does anybody have info about that?
Dupont's, Calandra, Greater and Lesser Short-toed Lark: Where should I look? What should I best look for to distinguish them as fast as possible from the abundant Thekla larks here?
Common Rock-Thrush: I guess it's gone, is it?
Rufous Scrub-Robin: Same here
Orphean Warbler: And here
Wallcreeper: Any known wintering sites known?
Red-billed Chough: I guess this one should be doable, shouldn't it?
Spanish Sparrow: Same as above
Rock Sparrow: Where to go?
Citril Finch: In the Collins bird guide, it shows a population near Granada. Where exactly is that?
Rock Bunting: This should be really easy, I hope

Many thanks in advance already!
Maffong

Do you have access to transport of your own and how near is ‘near’?
I think you’ll find that Egyptian Vulture, Collared Pratincole White-rumped Swift Common Rock-Thrush, Orphean Warbler and Rufous Scrub-Robin will be long gone. I’ve seen Greater Short-toed Lark into October and a few Squacco Heron remain in winter, but I think you’d be lucky to see either. I think the same is true of Red-necked Nightjar. Marsh Sandpiper is unlikely anywhere in winter outside the Guadalquivir Marismas (and not easy there).
White-headed Duck – it might be worth checking whether any are found at Padul wetlands in winter. It might be possible to catch a train from Granada to Fuente de Piedra (then taxi to the reserve) where there should be birds.
Sandgrouses – the obvious areas are Hoya de Guadax & Hoya de Baza, but I don’t have details. It may be worth trying a Google search.
I’ve seen Black-winged Kite in the Gudalaquivir valley as far over as Jaen. If you can get over to Osuna then I think you have a good chance.
Montril Port – sorry, can’t help.
Spanish Imperial Eagle – how near constitutes ‘nearby’? I don’t think there are any regular sites close to Grananda & the bird in the Sierra Nevada seems to move around a fair bit. A trip to Andujar area would help.
Dupont's Lark – there’s a tiny, near extinct population near Padul, but otherwise see Hoya de Guadax & Hoya de Baza …. Don’t know of presise sites
Calandra Lark – not too difficult in areas of ploughed fields & rough grazing in Cadiz province & Osuna area so shouldn’t be too hard (Padul?).
Lesser Short-toed Lark – resident but coastal so no good sites near Granada
Wallcreeper - pass!
Red-billed Chough – shouldn’t be hard up in the mountains.
Spanish Sparrow – it seems to be rather rare and local in your area so I think you have little chance: Rock Sparrow – pass.
Citril Finch – main area in Granada is Puerto de la Ragua
Rock Bunting – shouldn’t be a problem

One good option would be to join the Andalucia Bird Society (or at least their forum or Facebook page to make contact with local birders and tap into their knowledge

Thank you already very much for that information. I've met some birders in Padul last Friday and somebody who works there. They told me a few good sites.
Apparently Egyptian Vultures still pass through. Saturday I'll be in Gibraltar, maybe I'm lucky. Also Barbary Partidge seems possible (even if mainly reintroduced), luckily I've already seen it in Morocco. Red-necked Nightjars I'm told are still around and as I was told it was much more likely to have been this species what I saw on Friday, as European is only an uncommon passage migrant.
White-headed Duck is apparently possible in Charca de Suarez, as might be Squacco Heron and Black-winged Kite. I'll try my luck on Friday.
The Dupont's Lark site near Padul now only hosts two singing males. The worker from the Padul Ornithological Station said he hadn't seen them once eventhough now he works for over a year in the region. I guess I'll have to try elsewhere.
Greater Short-toed Lark and Calandra Lark (if I understood correctly) are possible in the region just west odf Padul. I don't know how to get there yet (don't have a car and hitchhiking doesn't seem easy. Tried on sunday), but I'll try.
Spanish Sparrow apparently winters in Padul, I'll try again later this year.
I guess for Rock Bunting I'll have to search around wine stocks?!

By the way, I was impressed how many Dartford Warblers (+3 Spectacled) I found in the mountain ridges just next to the Humedales de Padul. Also a young Black-eared Wheatear, lots of Tawny Pipit and tons of Thekla Lark there

Cheers Maffong

And I really want to do a trip to Andujar. Apparently you also have good chances of finding Iberian Lynx there and I think I've read that Greater Spotted Eagle can be found too? Could that be?

Cheers Maffong

I've had Squacco Heron, Lesser Short toed Lark and Spanish Sparrow in the rice fields area of The Coto Donana at the end of October in 2011.

Saturday I'll be in Gibraltar, maybe I'm lucky. Also Barbary Partidge seems possible (even if mainly reintroduced), luckily I've already seen it in Morocco.

Barbary Partidge is introduced (rather than reintroduced) to Gibraltar. Yet, this fact doesn't stop the Gibraltarians to consider the species their National Bird, and it's in the logo of their main environmental NGO: GONHS.

Barbary Partidge is introduced (rather than reintroduced) to Gibraltar. Yet, this fact doesn't stop the Gibraltarians to consider the species their National Bird, and it's in the logo of their main environmental NGO: GONHS.
There's worse - France's national bird is domesticated Gallus gallus ;)

And I really want to do a trip to Andujar. Apparently you also have good chances of finding Iberian Lynx there and I think I've read that Greater Spotted Eagle can be found too? Could that be?

Cheers Maffong

PM me for details of Lynx site - you need to give it several days and you really need a car. If Greater Spotted Eagle occurs there then it's news to me - birds have wintered at El Hondo, Alicante, Spain. Although the introduction of Barbary Partridge to Gibraltar goes back a very long way, the population was very low and has recently been boosted by re-reintroductions!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back