• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Satanic Nightjar (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Discussion thread for Satanic Nightjar. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
---------------------

Clements: Diabolical Nightjar
H&M: Heinrich's Nightjar
S&M: Satanic Eared-Nightjar
IOC: Satanic Nightjar

We have Clements and H&M consensus on leaving out "Eared-" (consistent throughout bulk of genus as well), but when it comes to the modifier should we stick with "Satanic"? And might I say, what an unfortunate set of possible names for a bird.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if PC is the reason that H&M have gone against the grain with naming of this bird. In my personal world, political correctness doesn't carry much weight ;) The conclusion, I think, is to go with Satanic Nightjar as you propose.

As an aside: the local name of the Black-capped Petrel here in Dominica is Diablotin meaning little devil for the call given at night. A couple of the mountains are named for the species (Morne Diablotin, Morne aux Diables).

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back