• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (70 Viewers)

Spent this morning on the reserve in the company of Spoonbill Finder, Israel, AH46, Adrian and JHWR.

SAILING POOL
7 GC Grebe + 1 young, 1 Coot, 2 Little Owls on the chimeny of Hobden Hall Farm, Hobby over, Kingfisher

FLASHES

6 Green Sand, 4 Oyks, 2 LRP, 37 Lapwing, 3 Avocet + 5 young, 2 Gadwall, 4 Tufted D, 6 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swans, c30 BH Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 8 Coot, 5 Moorhen, Peregrine on the masts, Water Rail in reedbed right of the oak tree (possibly a well developed youngster), Goldcrest by the steps, several Skylark singing (not heard here for several weeks), male Redstart in the hedge at the start of the boardwalk then worked its way down towards the corner of the transmitter field and was lost, 1 Common Tern earlier as per Alan H.
Water level hitting and holding at 0.42

MOORS POOL
Very quiet eg only 9 BH Gull!! 5 GC Grebe + 1 young, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Cormorant, 2 Common Tern, 63 Canada Geese, 60 Coot, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Mute Swan + 3 cygnets, 3 Moorhen, 27 Tufted Duck, Alan H had an Otter feeding for 30 mins on the east side of the pool viewed from the concrete hide. There was prolonged shooting from the northwest of the North Moors :C

Common Scoters at Coton and Shustoke today so there is still some movement through the Midlands.

Make that 2 otters Phil,showing well from the East hide from 13.20 till 13.35.

British and Upton lifer for me.

Chris T.

Make that 2 otters Phil,showing well from the East hide from 13.20 till 13.35.

British and Upton lifer for me.

Chris T.

Cheers Chris - not quite as good as the 52 lifers John R was describing seeing in Alaska but nearly up there with it! :t: Would be nice if sightings could become more regular to add to variety of a visit to Upton.

There were 2 mink brazenly sunbathing together on the 1st sailing pool jetty after the entrance to the flashes lunchtime. They slipped into the sailing pool as I approached.
Got the sighting I wanted from todays visit too, having dashed over once I realised the sun was actually going to shine again... 3rd time lucky 8-P

Attachments

• wlh.jpg
    wlh.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 92
There were 2 mink brazenly sunbathing together on the 1st sailing pool jetty after the entrance to the flashes lunchtime. They slipped into the sailing pool as I approached.
Got the sighting I wanted from todays visit too, having dashed over once I realised the sun was actually going to shine again... 3rd time lucky 8-P

Glad you got the WL Hairstreak Mark. I popped down to Monkwood after my visit to the Flashes this morning and got a female Purple Hairstreak - a lifer for me:t:.

I believe that this butterfly has been seen at UW in the past, near the steps down to the Flashes. When the last sighting was though I don't know, but I will be searching around that area next time I'm down there and the sun's out!

Nice day at the reserve, the highlight of which was seeing two otters - a first for me at Upton Warren.

Thought I'd mention that a White-rumped Sandpiper has been seen this evening at Grimley according to Rare Bird Alert - on Wagon Wheel Lane Pits

Mike

Had a great day at the reserve today and would like to thank Phil for History of Upton Warren pen, I would also like to thank everybody for their help with Id’s of some rather basic species but hey without help from you all I wouldn’t really be interested in this wonderful past time.

On to the species seen today around the reserve first port of call was the Flashes so here are the species seen today –

Avocet, Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blackcap (f), Blue Tit, Buzzard, Canada Goose, Carrion Crow, Coot, Curlew (20), Dunnock, Gadwall, Gold Finch, Great Crested Grebe, Green Sandpiper, Lapwing, Linnet, Little Owl, Little Ringed Plover, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Stock Dove, Swift, Tufted Duck, Water Rail, Wood Pigeon & Wren

Along at the Moors Pool I managed to see the following species –

Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bull Finch, Canada Goose, Coot, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Great Tit, Lapwing, Little Owl, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Stock Dove, Swallow, Swift, Tufted Duck & Wood Pigeon

Other none bird species seen around the reserve were – Red Admiral, Comma, Small White butterflies and a lifer for me just in front of the west hide on the Moors pool a sooty also seen in front of the west hide were 3 dragonflies largish in size a coppery brown colour to the body and clear wings does anyone have any idea’s of the species.

Unfortunately the Red Fox returned and went to the furthest Island from the west hide and was seen to be very interested in something on the island.

Kind Regards

BCB

Mark perhaps the otters scared them off from the MOORS :t: mind you we don't want em on the Flashes either.

Just a few Photographs from today if any of you know the species please let me know as my ID for insects is basically zero. The third one of the bird on the feeder was taken from the Bittern hide on the Moors

Kind Regards

BCB

Attachments

• ZZ (1020).JPG
    ZZ (1020).JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 98
  • ZZ (1021).JPG
    ZZ (1021).JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 118
  • ZZ (1022).JPG
    ZZ (1022).JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 137
  • ZZ (1023).JPG
    ZZ (1023).JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ZZ (1024).JPG
    ZZ (1024).JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 109
Just a few Photographs from today if any of you know the species please let me know as my ID for insects is basically zero. The third one of the bird on the feeder was taken from the Bittern hide on the Moors

Kind Regards

BCB

Hi Adrian, The first is a Ringlet (battered!), 2nd Comma Butterfly, the White maybe a Green Veined White & the last a Meadow Brown or Gate Keeper? (I think)..............Not much help was I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We saw alot of Ringlets there today. We had a great morning there, lucky enough to see the Little Owl-my first wild one o:D and spotted the Bee & Pyradidal Orchids on the causeway.
Maybe the Otters next time............live in hope 8-P

Where was the WL Hairstreak? it would be great to see.

Last edited:

Kind Regards

BCB

nice photos,gladys gets quite upset when butterflys won't sit still for her,we missed the otters this time but as GAVO says you have to do the time.U/W is full of life:bounce:

Kind Regards

BCB

Nice shots. By my reckoning they are:
1) Ringlet
2) Comma
3) Reed bunting (f)
4) Small white
5) Meadow brown

I find this BTO guide useful for some of the commoner species:
http://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/u16/downloads/forms_instructions/wcbs_id_guide_new.pdf

Sunday 15th July

Unfortunately today's improved weather didnt result in an increase in sightings or any vagrant Yankee calidris waders.

FLASHES
5 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, 4 Oyks, 21 Curlew, 3 LRP, 49 Lapwing, 7 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 1 Mute Swan, 7 Tufted Duck, c50 Mallard, 11 Canada Geese, 3 Avocet + 3 young, 3 Common Tern. Lesser Whitethroat in the hedgerow right of the hide as per Dave J.

SAILING POOL
5 GC Grebe + 2 young, 1 Mute Swan, 14 Canada Geese, 28 Mallard, 3 Little Owl on the chimney of Hobden Hall Farm

MOORS POOL
4 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan + 3 cygnets, 2 Cormorants, 15 Tufted Duck, 72 Coot, 2 Moorhen, Water Rail calling from the North Moors, 6 Oyks (probably some duplication with the Flashes), 67 Canada Geese, 67 Mallard, Rook flew over the North Moors

Did anybody manage to get any photos/film of the Otters?
Spent an enjoyable morning/afternoon at Upton Warren earlier today - Little Owl being the highlight, overall very quiet :(

No pics of the Otter but for anyone not sure what a Mink looks like here's one.
And a whole family of hybrids? presumably Mallard x with something but no clues in the Collins' hybrid list. Any ideas?

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB8390 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB8390 - Version 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 122
  • _ROB8371 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB8371 - Version 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
Just back from an afternoon until 9.15pm at the Mec.
Moors a bit quiet. but it is early July8-P
North Moors with woodchat, 2 kestrel not a common bird these days. Water rail calling from car park reed bed and plenty of reed warblers. Goldcrest called from the yew thicket.
Secret garden: 2 willow warblers, almost certainly migrants. Bullfinch family of 4 on causeway. several reed warbler and reed buntings sang either side of the causeway.
Education Reserve:plenty of chiffchaff calling , a couple of reed warbler in the 'top' reed bed, which is now full of water. A kingfisher also called in the NW corner of the sailing pool.
Flashes with Crofty junior: Had the place to ourselves from 5pm till 9. , there were only 30 BHG's initially building up to 450+ last thing. A good selection of species, as follows: Mallard 150 (including chicks), Tufted 4, Avocet 8 (3 ads + 5 juvs), LRP 3, Curlew 21, lapwing 40+, Green Sand 8, common sand, oystercatcher 6 (our family of 4 + 2 ads), Med Gull adult came into roost, BHG 450, LBBG 5, coot 10, Peregrine, little owl, stock dove 10+, kingfisher, swift c20, sand martin family party of 4, swallow a bit thin on the ground of late, reed warbler still several singing in 3rd flash,
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back